the black masks

"Hello, I'm Irene Leone. Allow me to share my story, which may be interesting to some of you. I am now in my 80s, an old woman wondering how I can still hold the pen with my trembling old hand.

Let me take you back to my youthful days, my flower days.

"When I was a child,"

Are you ready?

I was born on a farm, not like any other farm—"

"the human farm."

I imagine you were surprised by the name, huh? Let me tell you everything from the beginning now.

When I started to realize what was happening around me, I was eight years old, just a little girl. I always felt that there was something suspicious and not normal about this place.

My mother, my ten-year-old brother Sami, and I used to live in a small room at that damn farm. Every morning, my mother goes to work in the field a field  filled with all kinds of fruits and vegetables. Most of our food consisted of plants and vitamins. Meat was not provided, but eggs and milk were distributed daily. There were no animals on the farm; we only saw birds flying freely in the sky.

My brother and I used to play with the children. By the way, the number of children was not great. We were not allowed to go to school or even to learn. Education was one of the most forbidden things on the farm.

Despite that, my mother secretly taught us the alphabet. We wrote on the sand under the carpet at night and erased it as soon as we finished.

The farm was the only world I knew; I imagined that the world ended with the wall of that farm. I had never seen a sea, a mountain, or even an animal. My mother tried to describe cats and dogs to us and the outside world, but we didn't understand most of what she was saying. Even though we asked her annoying questions all the time, her stories about the world before the farm sounded like dreams and fairy tales.

"My mother was a sad lady."

Her expressions were always sad. We didn't understand why, until that day, the day we saw our jailers.

While playing with the children, armed men covering their faces with ugly black iron masks stormed in. They were looking for someone or something. My mother rushed to us, grabbed me and my brother, and hugged us tight, as if she was trying to hide us.

The armed men forcibly took a man from the farm. He screamed and kicked, trying to resist them. His wife screamed and begged, begged them to leave her husband alone. But they took him after injecting him with a sedative, treating him as if he were some animal.
One of them hit the wife hard to silence her.

The wife flew as a result of that blow and fell to the ground so hard, They left, and everyone rushed to comfort the poor woman who was crying and screaming in pain.

I couldn't sleep that night; I couldn't close my eyes. The men with scary black masks haunted my thoughts every time I tried to close my eyes or turned into a dark corner.

That night, our mother told us everything from the beginning. She said with a swaying voice:

'I think it's time for you to know the truth of this place, my babies. How I wished that this injustice would be over and that this world would change so that I don't have to tell you the dark truth... the ugly truth about this place. What I will tell you now, you may not understand it with your young pure minds, but you must know the truth.'

Many years ago, we lived in the real world outside the farm, a normal human life. When I was a little girl, I had a family and a normal life. Everything started as a funny joke, like a rumor or a lie. No one believed it until it began to spread like a plague. We were afraid to leave the house; the presence of the vampires became a reality overnight, and they began to take control. The epidemic spread so fast that they completely controlled the world around us. They turned us into slaves, treating us like animals. We became a weak majority, afraid of extinction. They killed humans in the most barbaric ways, and we became an endangered species.

Because they needed our blood, they established farms, farms made especially for human beings to prevent extinction. Yes, farms for humans so they could get our blood daily. We became like cows and animals imprisoned in barns, as they took our blood from our veins every day. Now and then, they take whoever and whatever they want because they are the strongest ones now.'

My mother finished her words, looking at us, thinking we didn't understand a word she said. 'But no,' I understood every word she said, and I felt a chill going up my spine. I listened carefully and felt the danger staring at us.

 I listened carefully and felt the danger staring at us

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Please support the story by clicking on the star and tell me what you think about it in the comments section 🧛‍♀️