The Final Chapter

Sane

"I think you should go see them." I said to Skylar. We were in the laundry room. I had Sia fast asleep on my shoulder and wanted to put her in bed but I've notice that Skylar isn't her usual self lately.
"See who?" She said continuing to load the dryer.
"Babe. Your parents." I said.
She turned to face me.
"They don't want to see me Sane." She said sternly before walking right pass me and to the living room.
I carefully walked up the stairs with Sia and tuck her in bed. Giving her a kiss on her forehead.

Heading downstairs to where Sky continues to fold clothes and watch some random tv show on Netflix.
"That's complete bull shit." I said.
She sighed rolling her eyes. She thought I was done with her.
"Sane, can we not do this right now." She said.
Skylar choosing to be with me has put and dent in her relationship with her parents and her brother. They didn't want her to be with me and her brother hates my guts. I didn't want her to be upset at her family or at me. I sat next to her in silence.
"Babe." I held her hand. "I'm sorry."
"What are you sorry for." Her expression was blank.
"That you are hurting. I know it was hard for you, to be force to choose between me or your family. You shouldn't have to do that." I rubbed her cheek.
Sky was the type to try and hide her emotions and push them under the rug and pretend it never happened. But I know this was taking a toll on her.
"I don't know what to do Sane. I just wanted to be happy." Her eyes started to tear up. "and I couldn't be... that without you."
I hugged her. I hated seeing her this way.
"Honey they're you're parents, all they would want is for you to be happy. Just talk to them. One little fight doesn't change the fact they love you."
"You didn't hear how angry my dad was Sane." She looked at me.
"That's because you told them we eloped, over the phone."
"I know it just sort of slipped out." She sighed again.
"Invite them over." I blurted out.
"What? No?" She shook her head
"Yes, that'll be perfect. Over dinner you all can talk or not, I don't know. But it shows that your trying and you get to see them." I said eagerly.
"What if it doesn't work out?" She said.
"Then you keep trying." I kissed her.
She gave my faint smile and we cuddled in the chair watching a weird tv show that she's been bingeing.
I wanted her to be happy. I know I've cause everything to be uncomfortable for her and I was surprised she wanted to be with me. I'll try my best to make things up to her. I haven't make shit easier for her.
With my Daughter in our lives she's seem to accept everything that happened 3 years ago but it doesn't change the fact that I've made shit unfair for her.

———————
"Are you nervous?" I ask as I stood in the door frame watching Skylar maneuver around the room.
"Me, no. Why? Do I look nervous."
"Uhh-
"Maybe this was a bad idea." She said pacing the room.
"Even if it was, it's too late to back out now. They're already on their way."
She sighed accepting that I was right. I reached for her hands.
"Everything is going to be okay babe. I'm here for you." I kissed her forehead. Sia entered the room a little fussy and proceeded to hug my leg.
"Aren't you adorable." Skylar smiled.
I picked Sia up. "What's wrong baby girl? Are you hungry?" She didn't answer she continued to fuss and lay her head on my shoulder. Sleepy.

"They're here ." Skylar eyes widen as she heard the buzzer.
"Okay hun. Just breath. We'll get the door."
We walk together downstairs with Skylar stopping at the beginning of the staircase and Sia and I went for the door.
"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Shawn, I'm glad you could make it." I greeted them.
"Hello Mr. Berkeley." Skylars father glared at me shaking my hand.
"Please come in." I stepped to the side invite them inside where they would see Skylar standing by the staircase with her head down. Right behind her parents was her brother Syrus who I've manage to miss.
"Glad you could make it man." I said to him as he completely ignored me.
"Mom, Dad, Syrus." Skylar said.
The situation was more awkward than i anticipated.
Nobody said a word to Skylar which broke my heart a little.
"So uh, who's the little one?" Skylar mother ask swinging her head to me.
By this time Sia had fallen asleep.
"This is Sia, my uh-
"My step daughter." Skylar blurted out.
We all looked at her confused. Expect for Syrus who was eyeing my daughter closely, which made me tad uncomfortable.
"Excuse me." Her father said. "You're step daughter."
"Let's get some drinks." I blurted out. "I'm just gonna put Sia in bed first."
I walked upstairs trying to avoid the deathly looks. I returned with everyone already seated around the table and my butlers were pouring everyone a glass and began to serve once I was seated.
"So Skylar. What else have you been keeping from us." Syrus says for the first time.
"I wouldn't be keeping anything from you guys if you all hadn't been so distant and against everything I do." She said aggregated.
"We are not against you. We are against him." Her father pointed a fork at me from across the table.
"What are you so against dad. He loves me and I love him." She blurted out.
"If he loves you so much why'd he hurt you?"
"I Uh. That wasn't intended sir." I said.
"Keynah, please calm down. Let's just have dinner." Skys mom says.
"Calm down, Tiff? Can't you see he is not right for her." He almost yelled at his wife and she kicked it leg.
"Not right for me? Then who is right for me dad? Who? I'd like to see who the hell is lined up to love me like Sane does, and take care of me like he does, I'd like to see that." She raises her voice and all I can think of is them waking Sia.

"Cut the shit Skylar." Her brothers says taking another sip of wine.
"Excuse me." She rolled her eyes
"You don't care about us anymore."
"That's not true."
"Well how would I know if it's not?" They glared at each other. "You got engaged, nothing, no email, no call, you got married, surprise! No email, no call. Well I sort of knew about the baby but for mom and dad. You can just guess what They didn't get."

"She wanted to tell you guys everything, but the way you all reacted when she told you she wanted to be with me, she felt really scared to say something." I said.
"Skylar is a grown woman. She can do whatever she wants. But she's under your influence." Her father said.
"Sorry what?" I was confused.
"You, telling her things. Can't you see she not happy?" Her father yelled again causing my mind to shift to sleeping Sia again.
"He doesn't force me to do anything. He's been by my side, not in-front of me, he's been helping me not pushing me around. And you know what. I don't care anymore. All of you. I've tried to tell you guys but you've all made it impossible, making me feel wrong and that I've made a mistake. Why can't y'all just be happy for me? Huh? I'm happy with him and with Sia. This dinner is over." She got up and threw the napkin on the table.
I was about to follow her but her mother stopping me going after her herself.
Dammit. Okay, Now is time to wake up Sia.

"So it wasn't your idea, to uh get eloped." Her father said after a brief moment of silence.
"Well no, but we both had mutual feelings about it."
He continued to drink. Sia looked like combination of both her parents. Her father was tall and looked like he worked out. Skylar had hazel eyes like her mother. He had a strong scary looking-face mostly because he was angry. Syrus looked more liked him that Skylar did.
"I wanted an actual wedding after we eloped but she convinced herself that you guys wouldn't come."
"Of course I would've come to her wedding, shes my daughter for Christ sake, I'd go to all her weddings."

"Nope sir just one." I said
"You don't know what the future holds son." He squints his eyes. And Syrus laughed.
"Maybe, we were just afraid that you were taking Skylar away from us." He said. "She my little girl. And it felt so distant between us and it's been killing me. you know."
I do know, I wouldn't want some guy taking Sia away from me. Even though she's going to be older and make her own decisions but she'll always be my little pumpkin.
"So uh, does Cap, she uh lives her too?" Syrus stuttered.
"No, we co-parent."
"Well, your baby girl is beautiful, thank god she looks more like you than Cap." He chuckled.
"Uh thanks?" Maybe He didn't wanted to be reminded of Cap every time he looks at his step- niece.
Skylar's mom came back with a grin on her face.
"Okay you three idiots, no more fucking arguing okay?" She sat down. "She very vulnerable and emotional right now. And I'm sure we could all agree that it's just an over reaction." She said sipping her wine.

Skylar walked in moments later with her eyes red and puffy.
"Darling." Her father called out to her and she looked him. Giving him this what-now look.
"I apologize for coming into your home and treating you like crap."
"It's fine." She uttered
"No it's not. I should have been here for you. I was just too scared of losing you and I didn't realize how deeply we've hurt you hun. I want you to be happy and as long as you are, so am I."
We continued the dinner with a few awkward tensions until her parents and brother decided to leave. They promise to invite us for dinner next time
They're in town to catch up.
_____________________
"I'm glad you pushed me into doing that." Skylar said as we tucked into bed cuddling each other.
"You're welcome." I smiled.
"Even though it didn't go exactly as planned, I've felt like I've gotten somewhere with my dad and Syrus." She said.
"Yeah, you all were just scared. That's all."
She was silent.
"Babe?" She whispered.
"Yeah."
"You know how, we've been trying." She whispered.
"Yeah, and it's okay babe. We could-
"we don't have to try any longer." She whispered
I felt my heart dropped into my stomach as I heard her words. I felt myself wanted to cry. I'm so happy right now.