Chapter 26 : Jughead, Back Soon

It's been 3 nights since she said 1 more night and every night she says 1 more night. We haven't talked much mostly just sitting in silence she reads and I write. We take turns cooking. I probably should head back to town to see how things are going. I know it's a long drive to just be in town a hour or to to check things out but It probably is a good idea. I talked to my dad a little on the phone but the reception is so bad out here. I told him I was okay and just taking a road trip. When I told Veronica I could see it in her eyes that she didn't want me to go but nodded and said that is a good idea. I hate how closed off she is but I also understand how she feels. She hasn't said it out loud but she is guarded. Her parents marriage sucks and that's the kind of relationships she has been around. Toxic and untrustworthy. Archie has told her he loves her and I think he does but he doesn't make her feel truly loved. He isn't completely honest with her and he hides stuff from her. I feel like that he wouldn't make her happy In the long run. I thought I loved Betty but I realised that we wouldn't work that we weren't what eachother needed. That's what Archie is for her he isn't what she needs he is what she wants. The football player who can sing and play guitar who is sweet it's what a lot of girls think they want not the guy who lives in a trailer park with criminal connections with a low class background. She's scared to be with me cause she is scared to really fall in love it's real that's what's the problem what me and her have this spark it's real. I told her all this last night and she got tears in her eyes and went to her room and shut the door. Then morning I told her about me leaving. I asked her if I can come back and she didn't answer. I'll take that as a okay cause it wasn't a no and not exactly a yes. I packed up my stuff just in case I decided on not coming back or what if her dad has her come back while i'm down there. I went outside and stood out there just looking at the view. She came out and stood beside me a minute latter.

"I'm not sure what I love more this the peace the isolation or the city. They are so different but I love both so much. "

It was the first time she spoke to me all day other that 1 word hear and there.

"I've never been to the city mostly I've just been amd Riverdale my whole life i've gone on trips places sometime but never been to the city"

"You should go to New York you'll love see Broadway it's life changing"

"Will you show me someday"

"Maybe"

I smiled and looked towards the lake.

"Wanna go for a swim"
I say with a smirk

"It's too cold"

"Well guess we should come back in the summer"

She smiled and went back inside.
I think this could be a nice spot for us like a little get away. I just have to get her to realise that Archie isn't right for her. I'm so close I know it. Just a little more work and she will finally see.
I head back in and grab my bag. She's leaning against the counter and looks sad. I feel like staying. I want her to say stay but she wouldn't. Veronica is so strong and stubborn when she has her walls up it takes a lot of work to knock them down. I walk towards her. Should I just pull her in for a kiss. I touch her face and the I walk away. I decided not to kiss her It's better if I don't. Maybe this space for a few hours will be good for her.
As I was walking out I looked back and saif i'll be back soon and she nodded.
____________
The drive back was not good. My mind was racing and my heart was pounding. I almost drove back like 10 times. When I got to Riverdale my dad was pissed but I told him I needed to be away that it was good for me and i'll go back cause I wasn't done but i came back to check on him. He said he is a grown man and that he doesn't need me checking on him but that he appreciated it. Then I went to Archie's he was in his garage playing the guitar. I asked him if he has heard from Veronica and he said no not for a few days and that he was worried but that when he last spoke to her she seemed okay and liked that she would get a few days away for peace. He also said he tried talking to her dad but that was useless.

I went to her place their cars where there so that probably means nobody else was there or they could be but their car left them off. I thought about spying but that probably wasn't the best idea. If there was a group of mob people in there it would not be good to be caught on their private meeting. So I went to pops and started thinking if i should go back. It was a long drive to possibly stay there only another day or 2 and she even said it's not good if im there when they come back for her. But even 1 more day alone with her could be worth the drive. I order 3 burgers for the road and walk to my car to head back when I see her there. I had 1 burger in my mouth and was holding the bag with the other 2. I went to speak to her but then remembered about the burger so i must have looked and sounded wired.
"Hi"
She said
"Hi"
I said back.
"So my dad's driver came and got me like 30 minutes after you left."

"Oh"

"I knew you'd come here but i wasn't sure how my timing would be so I went to see Archie first he said you just spoke to him so i knew this would your next stop"

"What did you talk to Archie about"

"Nothing"

"Oh"

"That's all just oh"

"What do you want me to say"

"I'm not sure I'm not sure about anything but i know when you said you would be back soon I wanted to say stay"

"I can't keep this up im fighting for you but it seems like its not working"

She started walking away but then she stopped and walked back quietly she said
"Please don't give up"
Then she rushed back to her car.
I won't give up. I'm not kind of guy and by the way this seems it looks like I don't need to fight much longer.

---------
Thank You so much for reading and please vote (like) and share it. What do you think will happen with Veronica and Jughead. Thank you again and hope you enjoyed this chapter. Comment below what you'd like to see next.