Fourteen

Emma's POV -

"How stupid could I be? Falling for someone I feel like I just met! How didn't I know that she would walk out on me?" Finn said, talking to himself. He was kicking around a crushed can of Dr. Pepper, my favorite kind of soda. Could he be doing that just so he crushes some part of me? I don't know, but I'm going to make it up to him.

"I can't believe I could be so stupid to-" he says, and I cut him off. He didn't know I was here until I said this-

"Be so stupid to do what?"

" Emma? I thought you...? " he said stopping himself. I smile.

"Ran out on you? Never." I say, walking over to the car and leaning on the hood.

"Well then where were you for an hour?" He asked me, raising his voice a little.

"Brittany happened." I said. That wasn't the first time I've said that today. How many confessions do I have to make tonight?

" Who? " he asked me confused. He raised an eyebrow.

"Brittany Barnes, only the most popular girl in school. She is the prettiest, smartest girl in school. She has dated almost every boy in this school. It won't be long until she gets to you, and then Jack, and then Jaeden." I say and start tearing up. He walks over to me. He surrounds me in this hug that was so sincere, so warm, so true. He rests his chin on the top of my head, because he is really tall, and I'm kind of short.

" Emma, you are the most beautiful, smart, nd true girl I have ever met. I would never cheat on you like the other shallow guys in this school, unlike Jack and Jaeden. Just joking! However you got held back from dancing with me, I believe you. You know why? Because you don't lie. I don't think you have ever lied to me, actually. Now that I realize it, everything we do, you have a true look on your face, no matter what. Emma, I love you. Nothing can change that. " He told me, looking straight into my eyes, saying that last sentence. But as he told me about how I have never lied to him, I thought of Wyatt. I know, the worst time ever to do this. I need to tell him about Wyatt. But there is nothing to say, really. Nothing happened. Why am I worrying? I think I should keep the Wyatt thing secret, because to be honest, all I would tell him is that I care about him, and he is my friend. He loves me, and I can't change that, either. Except I don't love him. I love Finn... Right? Right. I love Finn.

"I love you, too, Finn. I love you. " I say, and lean in and kiss him. And kiss him. We inhale, exhale. It's like two breaths become one. I smell mint. Did he prep his breath before prom? Ha! This is all I'm thinking about right now, and I feel good. Nothing on my shoulders. I will tell him what happened in the bathroom later. The words "low-life" still run through my mind. Where did she get that idea? Did I really do something to her, that I don't remember?