The Lady In My Life - Chapter 16

Michael slowly opened his eyes.
He immediately put his hands on his face, because he felt a burning sensation on his eye.
"Michael..?", he heard a soft voice say.
He carefully put his hands away and then saw Brandy in front of him.
"What happened..? Where am I?", Michael whispered.
He had a huge headache, which caused him to make a painful sound.

"Ssh.. Michael don't talk so much. You need to rest. Don't you remember what happened yesterday? My brother um.. he punched you in the face. He had been drinking again. You fainted because of the punch, so I arranged a car and got you to my house. We're in my room now.", Brandy explained everything. She felt really bad about everything that happened.
"My parents heard what happened and sent Darren to rehab."
Michael just looked at Brandy and bit on his lips. "They did? So he acted like that because he has a drinking problem?", Michael asked.
Brandy nodded her head.

"That's horrible for him.. I'm glad he gets help now.", Michael said.
Brandy just smiled. It was so special how he didn't even thought about himself; even when her brother hurt him, he still was glad that he could get help.
Brandy got a hold of a wet cloth and put it on his black eye for a few seconds.
"Ouch.."

Brandy took the cloth off of his eye and looked at Michael.
"Brandy.. thank you for helping me and bringing me to your house. I don't know how to thank you.", Michael whispered.
"You don't have to thank me, Michael. I'm glad I can help you. You deserve everything in this world; this is the least I can do."

"I love you, B."
"I love you too."

That night

"Can you try to sit down?", Brandy asked Michael.
He nodded a little bit and tried to sit down on the bed.
"It feels like my head is going to burst in pieces..", he mumbled.
"It's just the first day, it will be a little bit better tomorrow.", Brandy told him.
She sat next to him and supported his back with her hand.
Then the door opened, causing them both to stare at the door opening.

It was Dorothy, Brandy's mother, who stood in the door opening.
"Michael, how are you feeling?", Dorothy asked him.
"I could be better, but thank you for your concern, Dorothy.", Michael answered.
Dorothy smiled. "I made dinner, I think it's a good idea if you eat something. Do you think you can get downstairs?", she asked him.
"That's really kind of you, I'll try to stand up."
Brandy stood up and grabbed Michaels hands, to support him.
Michael started to lean a little bit forward and slowly got up. He was spinning on his feet because he felt dizzy.
"Are you okay?", Brandy asked him, while she kept on holding his hands, just to make sure he wouldn't fall.
"I guess so, I just feel dizzy.", Michael answered.

They carefully and slowly went downstairs together.
In the kitchen, Anthony, Brandy's father, already sat at the dining table.
"Hello Michael, are you alright?", Anthony asked.
Michael sat down on a chair and nodded his head slowly. "Yes, thank you sir.", he said.
Michael was so thankful that this family came into his life. He learned so much from them. It felt like they were part of his real family.

Dorothy put the last things on the dining table and finally sat down too.
"Let's pray together.", she said.
Since she said next to Michael, she grabbed his hands.
When they all were connected to each other, they closed their eyes and started to say the prayer.
When they finished the prayer, they started to eat.
"Thank you for everything.", Michael then said.
"Thank you, Michael. Thank you for protecting our daughter and taking care of her.", Anthony said with a smile.
The words meant a lot to Michael, especially because they were coming from Brandy's father.

After dinner

Michael could finally stood up by himself, but he was still kinda dizzy.
He walked up to Brandy's parents and kissed Dorothy on the cheek. "Thank you for the dinner, it was wonderful, Dorothy.", Michael said, being the thankful man who he was.
He then gave Anthony a hand. "Thank you for your kind words."

Brandy and Michael went downstairs after they helped with cleaning up.
Michael sat on the bed, with Brandy next to him.
Brandy grabbed his hands and placed kisses on it. He just smiled while looking at her.

"I'm Peter and you're my Wendy.", Michael whispered.