The Lady In My Life - Chapter 22

Two days later

Today was the day: it was Brandy's birthday.
Michael took a lot of preparations for this day, because it was their first birthday together.
He didn't had a lot of time, but he ended up finishing the song he wrote and composed for Brandy.
Michael was very excited to perform it to her, since the song was about her.

Michael stood in front of his mirror and checked himself out.
His outfit was nice formal; he wore a red blouse under an interesting looking vest. Underneath he wore black pants and some black loafers.
Michael adjusted his hair and makeup, since he was very insecure about particular features he had.

He finally sprayed some cologne in his neck and on his pulses for a nice scent.
He knew that this cologne was Brandy's favorite, so he just had to put it on.
When he was done with everything he got out of the house.
Michael was very excited, but also a little nervous, since her brother would also be there.
You know, the brother who gave him a black eye once.
Brandy told Michael that her brother went to rehab a week ago, so maybe he changed.
Apparently he was sober for a week now.

At Brandy's house

When Michael arrived at his girlfriends house, he carefully knocked on the door.
For a few seconds he looked at the presents he held in his arms. They were all for Brandy, of course.
The door opened after awhile, and there she was, looking more beautiful than ever; Brandy.
"Michael!", she said, being really excited.
Michael heard the excitement in her voice.
"My lady.", he smiled, while kissing her on the cheek.
She put her arms around his neck and smelled the cologne in his neck.
"I see what you did there.. that's my favorite cologne on you.", she giggled.
Michael nodded his head.
"Happy birthday, gorgeous.", he then said.
"Thank you, baby. Come on in."

Brandy held the door open for Michael so he could get in.
When she closed the door behind him, Brandy's mother immediately walked up to Michael.
"Michael is here!", she cheered, while she pulled him in for a big hug.
A few aunts came running into the hall.
"We can finally meet Brandy's boyfriend!", one of the aunts said.
"He's such a fine thing.", another aunt said.
Brandy blushed and leaned against the wall while looking at them.

"Congratulations with your daughters birthday.", Michael said to his mother in law.
"Thank you dear.", she responded.
When Brandy's mother let go of him, one of the aunts ran into his arms.
Michael blushed and giggled.
"You are even more fine in real life, damn!", the woman said.
His cheeks became even more red of embarrassment.
"Alright, alright, Theodora, that's enough. You're making Michael shy.", Brandy then said.
"Fine..", the aunt said, while she let go of him.
The other aunts also hugged Michael, and some pinched his cheeks.

When all of Brandy's aunts said hello to him, they went into the living room together.
Michael gave everyone a hand and met everyone who was sitting there.
He congratulated everyone in the room.
When he saw Brandy's father, the man stood up to gave him a hug.
"Hello my man.", Anthony said.
"Hello Anthony. Congratulations with your daughter.", Michael said.
"Thank you, Michael.", he said, before he placed a kiss on his forehead.
It was a form of respect, and Michael was really thankful for it.

More people entered the room, and then he saw Brandy's brother Darren.
Michael felt a little bit uncomfortable, since he was the one who gave him a black eye.
He saw Darren greet everyone and congratulate Brandy.
After awhile he saw Darren walk up to him.
Michael bit on his lip and looked at him.
"Hey Michael. Can I talk to you for a second?", Darren asked him.
Michael nodded his head. "Of course."

They walked into the hall.
"So as you may know, I'm in rehab now and I've been sober for more than a week.", Darren said.
"That's wonderful to hear, Darren.", Michael responded.
"It is. I just want to apologize for my behavior. I've always been tough to you, and I'm sorry for it, really."
"I'm glad you're apologizing to me, and I'm glad you're doing well now. I just want to get to know you, because I care about Brandy's family.", Michael said.
Darren nodded his head.
"I know.. Maybe we can get lunch together sometime? I'm glad we're ok now.", he said, while giving him a hand.
"That's a good idea."