23 - Megan: Junior Year

Christmas was a quiet day. They had brunch and opened presents. When they were through Megan asked, "What are those last two?"

"Oh, they're for Peter. He'll come over this week won't he?"

"Mom, you know he is not my boyfriend!"

"I have plans with him tomorrow," her father said.

I'll bet you do, Megan thought. She didn't mention that they had talked about a movie marathon sometime over the week. The jury was still out on whether it would be Harry Potter or Star Wars.

Later on Christmas day, she called him.

"How was your day?"

"Nice, but quiet. We went to church and had dinner. My mother saved enough to get us each something."

"I hear you're hanging with my dad."

"We're driving. I really want my license. Becka said she'd take me out too while she's home."

"When are we doing the movie thing?"

"Tomorrow? I'm not working."

When Bren arrived at her house, her mother met them at the door. "Merry Christmas, Peter." She kissed his cheek.

"Thank you." His cheeks were red.

Megan thought, her mother was in love with him. Her mother brought him to the tree and gave him his presents. He looked overwhelmed. One package contained a Red Sox shirt, number 34, everyone's favorite slugger. The other was a hard copy of The Half-Blood Prince. She had mentioned to her mother that Bren didn't own any of his own books. He thanked her.

In honor of his new book, they decided to watch Harry Potter. They settled on the sofa one on each end with their legs overlapping a bit. Megan was aware of his legs touching hers. Half way through the first movie, Bren started massaging her feet.

"That feels good."

He reacted by pulling his hands back. "Sorry I didn't realize what I was doing. I massage my mother's tired feet all the time."

"You did a good job. I liked it." She assured him.

He was a sweet son. She had seen it when she met his mother and sister. His mother worked hard, and he helped to make her life easier.

"Harmony doesn't like me touching her feet."

"Will you not mention her." Megan snapped and pulled her legs away and tucked them under her.

"What's bothering you?"

"She was brutal to me last week when she found out I went to your house."

"How'd she find out?" he asked alarmed.

"I dunno. I didn't tell, but my friends knew. You never said it was a secret." She felt upset.

"It wasn't. I'm sorry. I just never told her." He sat up straighter. "What did she say to you, Meg?"

How could she be angry when her insides melted just hearing him call her Meg? She looked in his eyes and saw the same concern as that of the son who helped his overworked mother.

"She called me a lot of mean things, including a loser who will never have a boyfriend. How does she know I've never had a boyfriend?"

"You haven't dated anyone at school have you or you know?"

"No, but it's not like I wouldn't be opposed to it with someone I loved."

"Of course, you'd need a commitment. You're not like her. You would never have sex on the beach with some random guy you met. That's what makes you and you know who different."

"You're right. I'm not a whore, but clearly you are." She smiled and pushed his shoulder.

"Can we go back to the movie?"

Megan pressed play.

Megan would never pick up a random guy and have sex with him! Right?