28 - Megan and Peter

Peter had been planning the birthday party for two weeks. Entertaining was not one of his hidden talents, so he worried he would forget something. It required him to communicate with Megan, although she must have been annoyed with him. One day Kristi called and offered her services. He and Kristi went shopping at the party shop the Thursday night before the party.

While choosing plates and decorations, Kristi said that she wanted Beauty and the Beast for her eleventh birthday. In Peter's youth, he didn't have those kinds of birthday parties, but went along with her.

"I wanted Ninja Turtles! Michelangelo was my favorite." They were both laughing when Peter stopped. "Shit!"

Harmony was looking right at him. He forgot to turn his location off after he went for a short run after work. With the snow gone and spring on its way, he was glad to be running outside.

"Hey Bren." Harmony looked Kristi up and down.

"Harmony," he said in a flat voice. "This is our friend. She's helping me shop for the twin's party."

"I guess you like them older too." Harmony turned on her heels and left.

"Who was that?" Kristi stood with her hands on her hips.

"That was my first girlfriend. She still hasn't gotten over our breakup." It was the simple answer to her question.

"Older! Did she call me older?"

"Yes. She calls Megan fat and I don't mean now, you know."

"That girl's got serious problems."

"You don't want to know how true that is. Now let's get on with our shopping."

Peter liked Kristi even though she had a nosy side. Thankfully, she didn't ask any more questions about Harmony. Dan was his friend, and he and Kristi were a package deal. Peter wished he could be a package deal again.

On the way out of the store, Kristi said, "Bren."

"Everyone in high school called me Bren."

"Even Megan?"

"Even Megan." He remembered the first time she called him Bren, and he wished she would again.

Megan joined Kristi for a dog walk on Saturday morning. Kristi gave her a full report on their shopping trip.

"He's doing a good job, for a guy. Dan would be clueless."

"He's figured it out. The twins come home clean, fed and happy."

"He really loves them. Oh, I met his old girlfriend."

Megan knew nothing about his relationships other than one crazy woman. Casually she asked, "Which one?"

"From high school."

"Oh. I really hate her. She tormented me." Megan didn't mention that she had upset them the other week.

"He told me she insults you. She called me old. He made it sound almost like you two are together," Kristi said tentatively.

"He probably did. It's a strategy he uses to keep her away. I prefer not to talk about her."

By letting the bitch think the baby was his, she and Peter implied that they were together.

The day of the birthday was nice for early April. The twins were excited the moment they woke up. Peter groaned and thought he should have had the party start at nine in the morning. By ten, he called in his secret weapon and sent them downstairs so Victoria could entertain them. It would be worth every penny.