31 - Megan: Junior Year

Megan was feeling pressure from Jake to sleep with him. She thought about it, but she just didn't like him enough. She liked Pete more. She was considering breaking up with him, but she wanted to go to prom.

Winter was over and spring had sprung. In a few weeks she would start working at The Landing. There had already been a few warm days, and she and Jen had sat on the beach.

Both Jake and Pete were busy with Lacrosse. She started going to watch their games. Her heart would stop every time the other team tried to score and Pete as goalie would have to stop it. He stopped most of them and never seemed rattled when he let one in.

One day she sat with Pete's mother. Megan knew he was glad his mom had come. It didn't surprise her when her father arrived during the second half. He had been trying to get to as many games as he could. Megan introduced him to Kathleen Brenner.

"I hope you don't mind that I've practically adopted your son."

"I think he wishes you had. He's a good boy. Why he likes goalie, I'll never understand. It gives me a heart attack watching."

Megan said, "He's good at it." As if on cue he made another save, and she added, "Really good!"

She watched Jake play, and he scored once, but she really enjoyed watching Pete more. She listened as his mother and her father talked with each other.

"Thank you for your help with the driving. He's thrilled to have his license."

Pete had passed his driving test a few weeks before. Megan was glad, but she would miss driving him home at the same time. She knew her father was planning to buy her a new car and sell her old one to Pete. She listened as he explained this to his mother.

"I'll give him a loan for some of it, but he'll need a car this summer. He's picking up some shifts where Megan works at The Landing. Mostly early morning so it doesn't conflict with Mario's."

"You're too generous with him. I'm glad he has you since his own father is long gone."

Megan was excited about working with Pete all summer. She, Jen and Pete would have a lot of fun. On days he didn't need to be at Mario's, he could hang out on the beach with them. The last month of school couldn't pass soon enough for her.

When the game was over, she went to congratulate Jake on the win although she really wanted to go to Pete. The prom was on Saturday, and she wanted Pete to go, but he refused. She had suggested that he take Jen as a friend, but he didn't want to waste the money.

Her heart stopped when he said, "We can go next year when we're seniors."

"Together?"

He replied, "If you want to."

The Monday following the prom, Peter asked if she had fun.

"Yes, the dresses were all beautiful. None of my friends were there, thanks a lot." She teased. "Jake's friends are okay. We danced a lot."

"I'm glad you had fun. What happens when Jake graduates and goes off to college?"

"I'm not planning for it to last that long."

"Why?"

"I like him, but I don't love him."

"How can you tell?"

"I know enough to know it's not there. Somehow I think I'll know the difference when I feel it." She already knew the difference. "My parents have a Memorial Day party on Saturday night. Jen usually comes and hangs out with me, but she's going to Mari's camp. Somehow unlike us, she has Memorial weekend off."

"What kind of party?"

"It's fancy with business contacts and friends. My mother's been in a tizzy all week. It's catered so the food will be great. Do you want to hang out with me?"

"Fancy. No thanks."

"Please! You don't have to dress up. You can sneak in, or if it's nice, we can sit on the beach. Please." She gave him her best smile.

Peter shook his head and smiled. "Okay, but I work until nine."

"Come after."

She had to look nice for the guests so she chose her favorite summer dress. It was pleasantly warm with only a light sea breeze. The guests spilled out of the house on the lawn. Megan made an appearance and greeted people. She stopped for a few conversations, but moved on quickly. She hung out by the kitchen and collected a stash of hors d'oeuvres. She had already had a glass of champagne.