60 - Peter

Peter hated to leave her, but he had to do one thing before he could be hers again. He ran back to the house. He and the twins were due at his apartment for a cookout in a few hours. His timing was awful, but he couldn't wait any longer.

He ran through the door and Marie said, "Long run. Was it nice?"

"Yes, thank you." He addressed the twins. "We need to get going."

"So soon I thought you had dinner plans. It's early."

"We have things to do."

"Well, take a shower at least before you go."

A shower was a good idea although he really hadn't run far, he was sweaty. "Okay, but I want you two ready to go."

He jumped in the shower and suddenly remembered the morning he found out about Evan. He had broken down in this same shower and had resolved to win Megan back.

He washed in two minutes and dressed in the clothes he wore earlier.

"Okay."

"That was fast." It disappointed Marie that they were leaving.

He took a deep breath. "Listen Marie. You know I love you and I owe you so much for all you've done, but I've been thinking. I've decided that when you want to see the twins, you need to ask Megan. I also think you should remember that you have three grandchildren."

"What?"

"I'm serious." Ed, who was busy watching golf, smirked so Peter winked at him.

Once in the car, he said, "We're going to go see Abbie before we go to the cookout."

They were quick to unbuckle and run in the house. He followed and smiled at Megan. The baby was asleep in the swing and she told them to be quiet.

"Go play in your room for a little while."

She smiled as they ran off together. She approached him and touched his damp hair.

"You showered."

"Yes, well, I ran back. I want you to know that on my way out the door, I told your mother that she needs to talk to you if she wants to see the twins. I will only be on your side. I should have cut her off a long time ago. I was wrong."

"No, it was good you let her see them, but there were times I was jealous of you... especially holidays."

"Like Thanksgiving?"

"Yes."

"I was hoping to sit with you while you ate, but you kicked me to the curb."

"I did a lot of things I'm not proud of."

"We both did. Listen, we're having a cookout with John. Will you come with us? I don't want to leave you, but they are really excited about going." He pointed to the twins' room.

"I guess... alright."

"I can't pretend things haven't changed." He may never stop smiling. "I can drive you home later or you and Abbie can..."

She interrupted. "Pete, she's not six weeks old yet."

It took him a minute to realize what she was saying. With the twins, she had received the okay to resume marital relations, but they both fell asleep that night. It took an afternoon a few days later when both babies were both fed and asleep before they did.

"It's okay." He meant it. "We can be together or you can come back here. No pressure."

She reached her hand up and touched his cheek. "It's all happening so fast."