65 - Megan

Megan didn't know the girl who kicked Pete out. With him back in her bed, she wondered how she ever slept without him. She loved him more than she thought possible. She loved parenting together. She smiled when Pete had made the bed. He always did his share and never complained. She listened to women who complained about their husbands being useless and thought she had been lucky. There were so many reasons she was lucky, but she was too young to realize any of them until they were gone.

Now that he was in her home, their home, she felt as if they were still married. It was like they had undone their mistake, her mistake. She asked her father not to tell her mother that they were together. She would not pretend that everything was alright between them just because her mother got what she wanted.

She and Pete put the twins to bed together. Somehow she found this parenting activity intimate together. The baby was fed and asleep and she was excited about finally being alone.

Pete grabbed her outside of the twins' room and held her. "I wish you could have a drink. I also wish we could go to the beach tonight. I thought about the front porch, but Kristi would probably pull out her binoculars."

"She probably is trying to see into these front windows right now." Megan teased sitting next to Peter on the sofa. "The porch is about to fall down."

"You know that tonight is a special night." Pete took her hand. "Many years ago, A girl kissed me and it changed my life forever. I promised her forever, and I also said that I would replace something when I had the money."

Megan watched as he reached into his pocket and pulled out a beautiful diamond ring. She was speechless as he put in on her finger. After she kissed him, she said, "I already feel married to you. We were frozen for six years like in a fairy tale. I want to be married to you, but I don't want another wedding. I don't want the attention. I don't want the twins to remember their parent's wedding. I don't want another anniversary." Laughing she said, "I didn't know I felt so strongly until I started talking."

"My mother would say in the eyes of God, we were always married. We just need it done legally."

"Can we just take care of that without telling anyone?"

"You and I will know. We'll have a new anniversary though."

"Not if we wait and do it on the anniversary of our wedding." She stood and went into the bedroom. Pulling the box down, she came back with her wedding band. She held it up. "If God thinks we're still married and if the minister blessed these rings, then we can wear them right."

He smiled. "So we are married, but on our anniversary in August, we'll make it legal for taxes and whatever else. You know this is going to drive Kristi crazy. Don't put that on yet. We'll do it together after I get mine. I'm really glad you kept it and didn't throw it in the ocean."

The following day after an awkward visit with Kathleen Brenner, they stopped by Peter's apartment. Her mother-in-law was welcoming, but Megan knew that she had hurt Kathleen's son. It was his mother that he turned to when she had knocked their world off its axis. Nonetheless, she was kind to Megan, because she loved her son and he was happy. Megan watched Kathleen as Peter held Abbie.

The older woman said, "You are in love with that baby." When Peter agreed, she said, "Let me hold her."

Megan felt the tension leave her body. As they were leaving Kathleen hugged her. "I prayed that you'd come back to us."

Megan hugged her back.

When they arrived at Peter's apartment, John asked, "Do I need to find a new tenant?"

"Not yet. We're all going to be here this fall while we renovate our house."

Megan smiled, because they never agreed, but they had no other option. The five of them wouldn't fit in that house much longer.

Peter smiled. "We need to talk to Alex."

They packed up food and more clothes and Peter came from his bedroom holding his wedding band.

"Tonight."

That night in their bed, they read their original vows, so many of the promises they had broken, but this was their fresh start. Peter read from the paper that Megan had saved in the box, there are a million reasons I love you, but the truth is that I have to because we are bound by an invisible force forever. Megan read the words, my best friend together two halves are bound into one forever. They each promised again the ones they failed at the most - love, honor, cherish and forsaking all others. They put their wedding bands on and laughed, because they didn't care what anyone thought.