67 - Megan

Summer was in full swing, and at almost three months, Abbie was settling in nicely. She really was an easygoing baby. The twins were disappointed, because Megan tried to keep the baby off the beach during peak sun hours. She told them next year would be different, and Abbie would be walking. On weekends, Peter often took them for the whole day with Megan joining them after three when the sun wasn't as strong.

One beautiful Saturday they were all leaving at dinner time. Megan was pushing the stroller across the boards on the path through the dunes. They filled the stroller with beach toys, towels and boogie boards, but no baby. Peter was behind her carrying Abbie and rounding up two exhausted and tan seven-year-olds.

Megan came face to face with none other than Harmony.

"Well, if it isn't the fat girl."

Megan looked down at her tankini thinking she didn't look or feel fat. "I'm the mother of three and I'm not fat."

"I don't know why he went back to you."

"You had your shot. You played with our marriage, and he still didn't want you. You know why? Because he told me, he never really liked you. You were just easy."

"He kept coming back for more."

"He was seventeen. That was thirteen years ago. Move on. I feel sorry for you, still stuck in the past. Get on with your life." She felt Peter behind her.

"You okay?" He put his arm around her waist.

"Fine."

Nick said, "That's the mean lady that follows Daddy around."

Sophie added, "I don't like her."

Peter said, "See even our kids have your number. Harmony, move on with your life. Just leave us out of it."

They stepped aside to let her pass. Peter gave Megan a squeeze. "You did great. I'm proud of you."