46 - Megan

Megan's mother wasn't happy with her, in fact she was livid. The argument went so fast she couldn't remember it all. They both said things they shouldn't. That happened sometimes with families, except this time the hurt ran too deep. They were both too stubborn. They expressed their opinions hissing not yelling at each other while the babies were playing at their feet.

Her mother said something about how she was crazy to divorce him. She responded that he was a cheater and her mother insisted that he wasn't and told her to open her eyes. She told her that her eyes were open and that he cheated before too and in the end her mother had to decide whose side she was on.

"I've chosen. If you go through with it, then I will not stand by and watch you ruin your life." Her mother stormed out.

She left Megan looking at the door. She didn't need anyone who wouldn't support her, mother or not. She nursed each baby and put them for their nap. She had forms to fill out for her attorney. She expected to hear from Peter next - begging and pleading, but he didn't. It disappointed a part of her. The part, she refused to listen to.

In fact, she stopped hearing from him all together and when it snowed seven inches. Enough to cancel school. She waited for him to clear the snow. At naptime, she had to do it herself. So she took the baby monitor outside with her. It took their entire nap to complete the cleanup. She was cold, and her back hurt when she went inside to warm up. She almost texted him to find out where he was, but she couldn't expect him to be nice anymore. Clearing snow, mowing grass and everything else would be her responsibility alone.

She had to accept that she was a single mother. Her life had turned out nothing like she planned. She felt lonely. Her mother had abandoned her. Jen was busy with her own life in New York. She had been too involved with Peter to make any close friends in college. She had Karen, but no one else since she was trying to keep her personal life private at work. She couldn't rely on Becka anymore. In fact, she doubted that she would ever speak to her again. That friendship was ruined in the fallout.

Her brother, Drew, called her to see if she was alright. He must have had an earful from her mother. He offered to help and suggested he talk to Peter, so she could at least get his side.

"I have his side, denial, denial, denial in about three hundred texts."

"Did you ever consider that maybe he's right?"

"I have the picture!"

"Believe me. Photos can be edited. Why would he send it to you, if he was guilty? He's not stupid."

"Drew, I know what I know. He did it when I was away at school too. I'm done talking about this."

She was no longer discussing what happened with anyone ever again. It was humiliating and painful. Too many people knew, and she wanted to move on.

"Okay, okay. Tell me what the twins are doing." At least, her brother was smarter than her mother.

She told him about how fast they were crawling. She told him about how they said, "mama." She did not tell him they said, "dada," more often. It was painful to hear. She knew they missed him. Hell parts of her missed him, but not enough to forgive him or trust him again.

Her father came for the twins every Saturday morning. She could tell he was torn between his wife and daughter. It was these visits, when he started handing her money. She assumed he was easing his guilt over his wife's behavior.

"Does she know about this?" Megan held up the currency.

"She knows I love you."

She went to meet with Candace again over February vacation. Karen came over with her girls to stay with the twins. She was more nervous for the second meeting than she was the first. Karen asked as Megan was walking out the door if she was sure. The truth was sometimes late at night in bed alone she wasn't sure, but then she pictured him with the other women - who were beautiful with much skinnier bodies. She could feel the betrayal and the humiliation choking her.

Candace surprised Megan when she told her that Peter had retained an attorney and submitted his financial information.

"You look surprised."

"I didn't think he wanted this."

"Listen, make sure this is what you want. If you're doing this to punish him, it's not a good enough reason. You need to decide because this bell can't be unrung."

"No, I'm sure. It's over. I guess I thought he would fight it more." Megan wasn't sure why his cooperation bothered her. Perhaps he didn't care, or he did, but didn't want to fight. Am I horrible because I still want him to care?

Candace asked her what was most important to her.

"Keeping my house."

"What about your children?"

"Of course, my children, but Peter's a good father. I don't want to keep them from him either. They're only babies so they need me. They're still nursing."

"Ideally, if we can work everything out and stay away from a judge that would be best. Looking at your financials you can't afford your house without help."

"I think he has a new job, but I don't know what he's making."

"It looks like he has two jobs. His salary is definitely more than yours. His other job isn't much."

"He's been working part time for years. He was taking care of the babies and finishing up school last semester. They just started daycare in January."

"Well, we'll see if we can get enough money out of him to keep your house. He has good representation, so we'll have to see what they have in mind."

The meeting ended and what pursued over the next two weeks were conversations between the two lawyers. They started miles apart. He wanted her to agree to see a marriage counselor, but she refused. Then he asked for joint custody, she countered with every other weekend. He asked for every weekend. She asked for half his salary. He countered with ten percent.

The stress was killing her. She wanted to be done with it and him.