33 - Megan: Junior Year

At nine o'clock, she took her stash and poured champagne into a tall kitchen glass to look like ginger ale. With a blanket she went down on the beach to wait for Peter. Finally, after what seemed like forever, she saw his headlights and ran up the driveway.

"You're here!"

"You're happy!"

"I am now. I was so bored." She exaggerated. "Sit, I've got food."

"What have you been drinking?"

"Champagne. Here." She handed him a half-filled glass.

"I'm driving. Plus, I can't get thrown off the team."

"Stay over. Then you'll be here for work in the morning."

"No. I was wondering something. Why didn't you invite Libby tonight?"

"Because I didn't want to and besides I broke up with him last night."

"What! You did. Why?"

"Because I was tired of fighting him off. I just didn't like him enough. Not like that, I need to be in love."

"Good. You need to value yourself. You're too special not to."

Megan felt good. Sitting there with Pete, she could smell him. He was a combination of soap and fresh bread from pizza dough. She knew the champagne gave her courage when she took his hand. "Besides, I like someone else."

Pete swallowed. "Who?"

"You." She leaned in, ignored his shocked expression and kissed him on his lips.

She pulled away and to say she was sorry, but his hands were in her hair, pulling her mouth back to his. He kissed her like no kiss she had ever had. She felt her nerves tingle throughout her body. His lips were soft and strong and not at all sloppy like Libby's kisses.

Finally, pulling away, he said, "I didn't think you liked me."

She nodded. "It's okay if you don't like me. We can forget it happened."

"Forget! I never want to forget this moment. I have wanted to kiss you for so long."

She looked into his eyes. "You have."

"Yes, I've liked you since second grade."

"What? Why?"

"Because that awful day before Father's Day, you looked at me like you cared and then at lunch."

"What happened at lunch?"

"You don't remember? You gave me your cookies. Not ordinary Chips Ahoy, but homemade. The best I had ever tasted. I never tasted anything so good until the first day I came here,"

"You ate half the plate." She giggled, but then she sobered. "If you liked me why did you ask you know who out?"

"Because I heard you with your friends convincing them we were just friends, I figured that you didn't like me."

"I thought we were just friends. Why would you like me?"

"Why wouldn't I? You're smart; you're beautiful. I wanted to tell you, but I turned my back and you were going out with Libby."

"What was I supposed to do? You had your sleazy cling on." She protested.

He put his hand in her hair. "No cling on and no Libby. It's just you and me."

He kissed her again, and she felt her head spin. When he used his tongue, she opened her lips to meet it with her own. Finally breaking apart, he whispered, "This is better than my dreams."