39 - Megan: Last December

Megan wasn't sure what it was, but she noticed a change in Peter since Thanksgiving. He went back to standing on the porch when he came for Nick and Sophie and dropped them back off. His texts were only logistics about what activities were happening, when and where.

As Christmas approached, they needed to have their annual discussion about presents. When she texted him about it, he responded, just send me a list. I'll buy everything and drop it off for you. You need to save for your added expenses.

She wasn't sure why, but he was suddenly frustrating her. He was nice to her, but avoided her at the same time. They had developed a way of interacting since the divorce. They typically texted and avoided any personal conversations. That fall it changed when she confided in him about her pregnancy. She felt a shift ever so slightly towards friendship. Now it seemed as if he had pulled back.

Perhaps he was seeing someone, she thought remembering how surprised she was to find out who Victoria was. It wasn't unusual for her to find out things about her ex from other people. Kristi occasionally gave her some information.

One day a few summers ago, she casually said, "I wonder how Peter's trip to Washington was."

Megan replied, "A vacation?"

"No, he was getting some award for his research."

Then there was the time, Kristi said, "The twins missed soccer today."

Megan asked, "Really. Do you know why?"

"They went to see his mother in the hospital."

"Hospital?"

"She had a hysterectomy. All he said was that it was just women trouble, nothing serious."

Megan felt relieved, but had to remind herself that her ex mother-in-law's health was no longer her business.

One day a couple years ago, a student approached her after class. "Ms. Brenner, I've been doing a report for AP Bio and I came across the Medical Research Center website." He had his phone and held it out. "Is this Dr. Brenner related to you?"

Shocked, she quickly recovered. "Kind of."

"You know him! Really! Do you think you could arrange for me to talk to him?"

Reluctantly she said, "Maybe."

She hadn't known he earned his PhD. To be fair, she never told him she was working on her masters.

She texted him; I have a student who is interested in meeting Dr. Brenner. Can I tell him to call?

He replied: yes.

She never asked whether they met or if her student learned that they used to be married.

Her father let things slip, although she suspected that information went both ways. Still, they rarely acknowledged what they heard about the other.

Just the past weekend, she learned that her parents hadn't seen the twins since Thanksgiving weekend. That was unusual since they usually visited every weekend, and in the summer they stayed over.

"You can come see them during the week. We get home around four-thirty and start getting ready for bed at seven-thirty." She hated to only have three hours with them. Just to add a bit of controversy, she added, "Mom, can come too if she promises to be nice." She knew that would never happen.

Everyone who looked at Megan could tell she was pregnant. She concealed it for as long as possible, but she lost the battle. She had her comprehensive ultrasound and found out she was carrying a girl. She was secretly glad, because in her mind a boy could resemble his father, like Nick looked like his. It would be awkward given her lack of relationship with Evan.