53 - Peter

You've got this, was what he said as he reluctantly left her. He wanted to stay. He secretly wished Kristi was unavailable and then she'd have no choice, but to let him be there to support her. He remembered when the twins were born and how strong and courageous she was.

It surprised the kids when he picked them up. He explained that it was time for Mommy's baby to be born. They asked when, but luckily not how.

"Why do you have Mommy's car?" Nick asked.

"Because Mommy couldn't drive it to the hospital. So for dinner, you can choose McDonald's or Mario's."

In unison, they both said, "Mario's."

While waiting for their pizza, he listened to Sophie talk and texted Leo to let him know he would need the next two days off. The twins had school the next day so he could work, but he had other plans. He couldn't get his mind off Megan. He remembered how grueling childbirth was for her and how helpless he felt. He didn't expect an update, but sure wished he'd get one.

After dinner, he took them home to pack some things. Megan hadn't been prepared to not be coming home after work. He smiled. He was always the neater one - breakfast dishes were still on the table.

Sophie said, "Daddy I can't find my purple dress. Mommy said I couldn't wear it today because I had art. She said tomorrow!"

He peeked in her room, the room that was once his, and saw the unmade bed and two laundry baskets full of unfolded clothes.

"Hey Soph, come check in here."

He made the bed and ran his fingers across the pillow where her head had been. He stopped himself from smelling it - maybe if he were alone.

He went to the kitchen to clean up and checked to make sure the kids had everything. He wondered about all the things Megan took home from work, but left them at her house. He knew enough that her school issued laptop shouldn't be left in the car.

They were just getting back into the car, when his phone chimed. He saw a text from Kristi and couldn't believe there was a picture of Megan looking wonderfully disheveled holding her baby.

"Wow! Already. I've got a picture of your sister."

He handed his phone back and let them look. Sophie spoke first. "She's so little."

"You were little like that once."

"Can we see mommy and the baby," Nick asked.

"Not tonight, maybe after school tomorrow."

He remembered how she labored all night with the twins and pushed forever. Obviously this little one wanted to come out fast. He took the phone back and looked one more time at the picture. She looked happy and beautiful. Kristi had texted the time of birth and her name. He smiled, because they had considered Abigail for Sophie, but Megan really liked Sophie even though he was leaning toward Abbie.

"Hey guys. She says her name is Abigail Jane."

It took longer to get them settled, because they were excited. Just sleeping at his house on a school day was exciting. Once they were asleep, he texted John to see if he wanted to come up. He added, Becks too if there.

It didn't take long, and they were at his back door. He put his finger over his lips and pointed to the twins' closed door. Truthfully their backpack strewn on the floor announced their presence too. He took out his phone and showed them the picture.

"Oh, my! When?" Becka asked.

"Tonight."

"But she wasn't absent today, I've been checking every day."