24 - Megan: Last September

Megan had to see Peter the following evening at the twins' open house. During their Kindergarten open house, the twins were so excited to show off their school. They dragged Megan from room to room. She expected no less this year except they were in separate classrooms. The plan was one twin would show her around, and the other would be with Peter. She just wanted to meet their two teachers. She knew better than to expect any real conversations. Their jaws would ache from smiling, just as hers had been the night before.

She popped in the staff room at lunch to make copies. A group of tired colleagues were eating. They all had what she referred to as 'open house hangover'.

"We're talking about going out for drinks tomorrow night. Megan, you in?"

"Nah. I can't, but have fun."

"Come on. Why not?" Karen didn't like the word no.

"I have two good reasons."

"What about Peter?"

"He doesn't get out of work until after five, sometimes later."

"We'll still be drinking."

"By the time I could get there, you would be loaded." She laughed, looking behind her to make sure no students were around.

"When was the last time you went out for drinks?" Karen wasn't letting up.

"Over the summer." As she walked away, she mumbled, "It was unforgettable."

Karen followed her back to her room. "Sorry for pestering you. Are you alright?"

"I have a lot on my mind." She didn't want to mention the most pressing thing. "I have the twins' open house to deal with tonight."

"Oh well, never easy. At least your ex isn't a deadbeat jerk like mine."

"No, but you never see yours."

"He texts me all the time, mostly profanities and how horrible I am."

"I know. Sorry."

The bell rang and Karen ran off to get to her classroom before her students. Megan laughed, as she heard Karen's booming voice in the hallway.

"Slow down... Hands to yourself Mr. Levy."

Megan didn't bother to drive home after picking up the twins. She was not alone, so Mario's Pizza was busy. At the counter, one of her American History Honors students was ready to take her order.

"Hey Miz Brenner, what can we get you?"

"Just a large cheese and three cups for drinks." Realizing she should eat healthier, she said, "Add a side salad too. Thanks Andy."

They sat and waited for their food. Nick was standing by their table talking to a friend. He shouted, "Daddy!"

"Hey Nick!"

Peter looked around and waved in her direction and walked over. She watched as Sophie gave him a big hug as if he hadn't just put her to bed the previous night.

"I was just going to grab a slice."

"Sit. We have a large coming and I'm not that hungry."

She watched as he looked at her as if trying to assess her state of mind. "You've got to eat."

She should be annoyed at him for telling her what she should do, but she gave him that right when she confided in him.

"I have a salad coming."

"Hopefully they've gotten better since my days behind the counter. They were overpriced and from a bag."

"A lot's changed since you worked here." Megan regretted voicing her words out loud.

They looked very much like a normal family. She and Peter didn't need to talk to each other, because Nick and Sophie both talked nonstop. She really didn't mind him so much when the kids were around. She hated being alone with him, because there were a lot of unsaid thoughts lingering.

Open house was much nicer as a parent than a teacher. Their plan to divide up didn't work, because the twins wanted to stay together. She passed Kristi in the hall while being pulled to the art room. Kristi raised her eyebrows, and Megan rolled her eyes. Their last stop was the Kindergarten wing, to see their Auntie Becka, Peter's sister.

"You're all here! And how are my favorite first graders?"

Both twin answered with a happy "good" before she turned to her brother.

"Give me a hug. I never see you."

"I'm just busy with work and these two."

Megan said, "Let's let Auntie talk to her class. Have we seen everyone? Can we go home?"

She didn't care that she saw Becka. They have always gotten along and Becka never mentioned Peter. Now Megan wondered if Becka saw much of her brother after listening to her remark. Megan's relationship with her mother ended with her marriage, she would hate if more relationships were casualties of their failure.

They walked to the parking lot together. The kids hugged Peter goodbye and climbed into her backseat.

"Buckle up!" She let out a breath. She was ready to go home.