Chapter 9: First day of Classes

The morning, regardless of how much I dreaded it, appeared quite quickly. I shifted in my bed, before my eyes fluttered open revealing a glimmer of sunlight breaking through the clouds. I turned my head and saw Nico sitting up in his bed yawning. He mist have just woken up like me. I waved at him, and pushed my covers off me. I threw my legs over the side of the bed and slid off. I paused at the base of my bed for a minute, unsure of what to do next.

"Good morning," I let out a big yawn.

"Good morning," he responded. He was blinking his eyes, probably to get the sleep out.

I walked past his bed, and into the bathroom. Once I left the bathroom, Harry and Ron, now awake, were already getting dressed. Nico, fully dressed, was sitting on his bed organizing his textbooks. The sun was now shining brightly into our room. I grabbed my uniform, and slipped it on.

After we were all ready, we walked out into the common room. Thalia and Hermione were waiting for us in a pair of arm chair. They were chatting with each other, and Thalia seemed to be enjoy it. Once we got to them, they paused their conversation and got up.

We walked down to the Great Hall for breakfast, and quickly ate. I shoved a couple items in my pocket, discreetly, for the gods. We went back to the Gryffindor House to grab our books, and I stealthily threw the food into the fire.

Our first class was Herbology, Harry had informed us. He said it was relatively fun. I was just glad it wouldn't really require magic. Gardening, gardening I knew how to do. I mean not like a Demeter kid, but as a Poseidon kid I did pretty darn good. The teacher, Professor Sprout, had a very ironic name I thought. I mean, Sprout? It's like she was born into her profession.

Contrary to what Harry told us, I found this class to be very long. It seemed to go on forever. Thalia seemed quite interested, but Nico had his head in his hands.

"We have Care of Magical Creatures next," Ron smiled, "That's with Hagrid, do you remember him last night?" We had just left Herbology and were walking outside.

"The tall one?" Ron nodded as an answer to my question.

We walked down the path, until a small shack came into focus. Outside, there was a group of kids in both red and green. I saw the kid from the train standing with two other boys, Malfoy I think he was called. The tall man, Hagrid, walked over to us. He was smiling at Harry, Hermione, and Ron.

"Ah hello you three. Want to introduce me to your friends?" Hagrid smiled at us.

"This is Percy, Nico, and Thalia," Hermione told Hagrid.

"Nice to meet you," Nico said.

"Nice to meet you two. Now let's get today's lesson started," Hagrid walked over to the hut and brought out a few ugly creatures, "These are Blast-Ended Skrewts. They are just babies right now, aren't they cute?"

I thought they were terrifying, I would definitely not call them cute. They looked like a lobster and a walrus had a baby. That was pretty much how our first Care for Magical Creatures lesson went. I definitely wouldn't forget it, that's for sure.

Once the lesson was over, it was finally time for lunch. I felt my stomach rumble as we walked up to the castle. It had been a couple hours since breakfast. We walked in to the great hall, and sat at the Gryffindor table. Unlike last night, there was already food on the table. The food was also significantly less elaborate. Now, it was just simple things like sandwiches and fruit. I eagerly ate it up, regardless.

Once we finished our lunch, Hermione apologized and said she needed to go to the library. I watched her curly hair bounce out of the great hall, reminding me if Annabeth. She had the most beautiful princess curls.

"What's up with her?" Nico asked.

"Who knows. With Hermione, anything," muttered Ron.

I saw kids exiting the cafeteria. Figuring lunch must be almost over, I asked, "So, what do we have next?"

Harry pulled out his schedule and read, "Divination."

"Oh bloody hell, not this again," Ron shook his head, "Professor Trelawney is crazy, absolutely bonkers."

"Ron, don't you remember that one prediction last year? I hate to admit it, but she was right," said Harry.

"But if I hear one more time about how you're going to die, I'll quit like Hermione," Ron bit down into his sandwich angrily.

We left the Great Hall, and walked down a series of corridors. After climbing up one to many stairs for my liking, we ended up near a ladder. Harry and Ron went first, and we followed. We climbed into a hazy room, where a bug-eyed lady was greeting students. I figured this must be Professor Trelawney. When she saw Harry, she started motioning her hands as if she was holding a ball.

"Ah my dear, whatever you are dreading will happen soon," she breathed.

Now I had seen too many prophesies at camp for my liking, but I wouldn't have to see one to know that lady was faking it. The way she motioned with her hands, or the way she said it, just screamed an impostor. Apart from that, Divination went fairly well. Ron, luckily, did not have to quite this class as Trelawney only said bad things would happen to Harry. As someone bad things happen to a lot, I can confidently say bad things or no where close to death.

Speaking of death, I felt a thunk on the table and saw Nico fast asleep. I kicked him under the desk, and he jumped awake. He gave me an apologetic smirk, and focused back on class. Thalia, next to me, was having a hard time keeping in her laughter. I kicked her slightly under the table, and felt a sharp shock in my side.