Chapter 16: The Sighting

I sprinted out of the stands, cutting through the crowd of people. I ran around the lake until I was out of view. After making sure no one was looking, I dove into the water. It hit me like a cool breeze. I felt my lungs filling up, and my breathing stabilized. I felt relaxed, back on my home territory. I wanted to just float for a while. But I had to find Harry, he needed me.

           I swam around, looking for any sign of him. Then, I saw it. Harry looked like a mermaid, almost. But instead of a tail, he had two distinct legs. He looked similar to that old Disney Channel movie I used to watch when I was little, "The Thirteenth Year". When the guy was becoming a mermaid, but his legs hadn't fully merged yet. Harry was holding two people. One was clearly Ron, and I guessed the other must be Fleur's sister due to her pale blond hair. I saw Harry was struggling, and I swam towards him. His gills were starting to shrink, and his fins were gone. The surface was a fair around away, but he was slowing down. I started to compress the bubbles in the water to create something similar to a mask. I slipped in over Harry's head and he let out a big gasp. I saw Harry turn, and I bolted away, but I think he might have seen me.

           I looked over my shoulder, and saw Harry's head break the surface of the water. By now, the effects of the Gillyweed had completely worn off and he just looked like a kid again. But, at least he was safe. I floated in the water for a few moments, to let the crowd die down. After I felt it was safe, I swam up and got out of the water. My clothes were still completely dry, luckily. That would have raised suspicion. I ran over to the crowd of people rushing forward to see Harry. I saw two people with jet black hair, and sprinted toward them. It was Thalia and Nico. They were both looking around cautiously.

           "I think he might have saw me," I whispered, trying to catch my breath.

           "Are you sure?" Thalia looked panicked.

           "No," I admitted, "But we can't have another incident like this. They'll get suspicious."

           We walked over to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. All of which, were bundled up in a couple towels. Their lips had blue tints to them, probably due to the icy water. I had to wonder, who hosted a swimming tournament in the late winter?

           "Harry! We were terrified! You weren't coming up," Thalia ran over and gave him a hug, a very non-Thalia thing to do.

           Harry gave her an apologetic grin, before being ushered away with the other champions. We told him we would meet in our room, and headed back to the castle. We were walking up the stairs, all realizing we had to talk about what had happened.

           "Okay you guys," I started, "even if he did see me, we could play it off as he didn't have a lot of oxygen left."

           Thalia and Nico nodded, unconvincingly. We weren't really sure how this would go. We couldn't let anyone find out about us, it would ruin the whole quest. There was no way Harry would trust us after that.

           "Regardless, these tasks are getting more difficult. We need to have an eye on Harry at all times. We could have lost him today," Thalia said. She was very shook up over today's events, and had a sort of big sister vibe to her.

           We arrived at the painting. After greeting the Fat Lady, we told her the password and pushed the door open. The sound of cheers and talking hit us first. The Gryffindor's were celebrating Harry's victory with a party. They were in a huge swarm, carrying glasses of liquid that looked strangely like alcohol. He hadn't even won today, but that didn't stop their party.

           We pushed past them, and walked to the boys staircase. Once we got to our dorm room, I sat down on my bed. A feeling of dread was in my gut. Harry, Hermione, and Ron would be here soon and I would have to face what I did. I kept replying what happened at the lake. I couldn't tell if Harry saw me, or if he was just stunned. How would I go about explaining what I did? I could lie and say he must have imagined it. Or, maybe I could use my dry clothes as proof I wasn't underwater. Do I just tell him the truth and risk messing up the quest?

           The dormitory door pushed open, and an exhausted Ron, Hermione, and Harry walked in. They still had the towels wrapped around their shoulders, although they looked much dryer.

           "Hello," Hermione greeted as she sat down on Harry's bed.

           "So Harry, what happened today? Where were you?" Nico asked.

           "Well I got to the people first-" Harry started.

           "Oh, bloody helll Harry," Ron interruped, rolling his eyes.

           "You should have seen it Ron, it was eerie. There were all these Merfolk with spears. I didn't want to leave anyone," Harry defended, "Anyways, after a while Cedric showed up, and so did Krum. But Fleur wasn't coming. So I grabbed her sister and you, and started swimming up. I was about to make it when my Gillyweed wore off, and someone saved me."

           This was it, I prepared myself. I was just going to come out and tell him the truth. No, I couldn't tell him the truth. I'll say I found a spell or something in the library. They'll believe that, right? I mean they bought that Nico just tripped and got a bite mark.

           "Who saved you Harry?" Hermione asked, looking intrigued.

           "I-I think it was," Harry broke off, "You wouldn't believe me."

           "Harry, who was it?" Hermione pressed again.

           "I think it was my dad," he said.

Woah Harry, bet you didn't see that coming. Comment down below what you think, and make sure to hit that vote button if you were surprised.