Chapter 10: The Ferret

Once Divination was done, we decided to head to dinner. I wasn't as hungry as earlier, but decided I could eat. Ron and Harry told us we could take a shortcut if we walked through the courtyard. So we followed them outside. It was a nice evening, not to hot yet. There was a cool breeze ruffling my hair. My pleasant mood was interrupted when a snarky voice hit my ears.

           "Oh look it's Weasley and Potter, and their little American friends," Malfoy sneered.

           "What do you want Malfoy?" Harry looked unamused.

           "Oh I just have a question for Weasley," Draco smiled innocently, "Is it true your family is so poor, you all share a toothbrush."

           Ron's ears, turning red, moved to lunge at Draco. My instincts reacted quickly, and I grabbed his shoulders. I, noticeably stronger than Ron, had no problem holding him back. Much to his dismay.

           "Let go of me Percy!" Ron shouted, "Man you're strong."

           I mentally laughed. This is why I spent the last four years training to fight monsters. To hold back a fourteen year old kid during a fight. Of course, after bathing in the River Styx, this was incredibly easy.

           "Hey Draco," Harry decided to provoke Malfoy, "Why is it that your mum always has a disgusted look on her face? Is it from seeing you?" Thalia clamped her hand onto Harry's mouth before he could say more.

           "Let's go," I shouted. Ron had given up his efforts to fight me, and turned to walk with us.

           I heard a sound similar to a jingle, and saw Malfoy wave his wand. We all ducked at the right moment, and the sparks went barely over Harry's head. I could smell burnt hair, and figured it must have grazed him.

           All of a sudden, I heard a squeal. I turned to see Malfoy gone, and in his place an ugly little ferret. The man from the feast, I think it was Moody, standing over the creature with his want. He waved his wand, and the creature started soaring through the air. With my stomach rapidly sinking, I realized that was Malfoy. Somehow this man had turned him into a ferret.

           I saw Professor Mcgonagall storm out of the Great Hall, her face was turning red from anger.

           "What are you doing!" She shouted, "Is that a student?"

           "You don't attack an opponent when their back it turned, you coward," Moody grunted to the creature.

           Mcgonagall's jaw dropped, "I demand you to put that student down now!"

           Moody set down Malfoy, and waved her wand. Malfoy turned back into himself, his face paler that usual. Turning to his friends, they all ran off quickly to get away from the professor.

           Harry and Ron also looked terrified, and we realized we had lost our appetite. We walked back to the common room silently. Harry told the painting the password, and held the door open for us.

           "I do not want to go to his class," Thalia breathed.

           "We don't have him until Thursday," said Ron.

           I heard to door open again, and saw Hermione walk in. Frantically, Harry and Ron caught her up on what they missed. Realizing I needed to talk to Nico and Thalia alone, we came up with an excuse and left the common room. We walked down the steps of the castle until we were outside, and safety away from any students. We stood next to a tree by the lake.

           "You guys, how are we suppose to keep Harry safe if he could turn into an animal any second? We were to close their, Draco almost hit him," I leaned against the tree, defeated.

           "I don't know Percy," said Nico.

           "I think we need to talk to Chiron," said Thalia, "Do you have a drachma?"

           "Wait here? What if someone sees us?" I looked around nervously.

           "Percy, a boy just turned into a ferret I don't think an Iris message would blow their minds," Thalia said, reaching her hand out for a coin.

           I used the lake to create a mist, while Thalia threw the drachma. She asked for Chiron, and we waited. Soon the centaur appeared in the air. He smiled when he saw us.

           "Hello, how is your quest going?" He asked.

           "We need help, I don't know if we can do it," I looked at Chiron.

           We told Chiron what had happened, and what Dumbledore had told us. He listened, nodding his head and occasionally asking questions. Once we had finished, I felt more hopeless that earlier.

           "I know this is a hard quest, but it's no more difficult than any other one," He started, "You three have defeated countless monsters, saved so many lives, even stopped Titans. I believe you can do this."

           Chiron's words really helped soothe my nerves. Hearing him remind us of all we had accomplished, made this quest seem easy. I heard a familiar voice behind Chiron.

           "Oh, I think this is someone you would want to see," Chiron smiled.

           He moved out of the frame, as my Wise Girl walked in. Her face lit up as she saw us.

           "Annabeth!" Thalia smiled, "How are you feeling?"

           "Much better," Annabeth said, "It's been hard without you guys, but much better."

           Seeing Annabeth made me feel at ease. She had this way of calming me down, and reassuring me. Annabeth told us about what we had missed at camp. Like the Stoll brothers pranking Clarisse, and an update on the new cabins being built. Apparently, they were getting a lot more campers each day, they had to find more saytrs. It was refreshing to hear about something familiar. With all this talk of magic, wizards, and such, hearing normal stuff made me feel comfortable.

           We told Annabeth about our classes, and what England was like. She was so intrigued by everything, that we ended up talking for around an hour. The sun was beginning to set by the tome we were done, and we realized it was almost after curfew. There were beautiful streaks or orage, red, and purple in the sky. We said goodbye to Annabeth, and ran back inside hoping we could find the Gryffindor House again.