Chapter 15: The Egg

"Cedric told me if I stuck the egg under water, I would be able to hear it," Harry had informed us.

           When Harry first opened the golden egg from the first task, I was told it made a horrible shriek. Everyone had clasped their hands to their ears, and I nervously mimicked them. Apparently I was the only one who heard the singing voices. I mean sure they were no Ariana Grande, but they weren't bad. When I was informed I was the only one hearing that, I figured this was it. This was when I finally went insane. But Harry listened to Cedric and put it under water, and he heard the same singing voice. So, I was not insane, just a demigod, those are totally not the same thing. Hopefully.

           The voices informed him he wouuld be underwater, and this presented a new challenge for Harry. He was going to have to figure out how to breathe under water. Because apparently there was a spell for unlocking doors and turning on flashlights, but not one for breathing under water. Go figure.

           "Percy, couldn't you just help him breathe underwater?" Thalia asked.

           "Really Thalia? And how would we explain that?" Nico glared, "Oh no really it's okay Harry. My dad is actually an ancient greek god, so I can just like help you breathe."

           "Okay, well at least we know if something goes wrong you can save him," Thalia pointed out, "We need to have hope."

           The three of us were sitting in Nico and I's dormroom. The trio were once again in the library, pouring over every book they could find. Like they had been doing every night. Every single night. I suppose we were also working every night, just taking a different strategy. Instead of focusing on how Harry could, we looked at how he may couldn't. We had come up with the plan that I would be somewhere close to an exit. So in case something went wrong, I could dive into the water unnoticed. I figured that wouldn't be a problem, as everyone would be too busy watching the champions to notice. But, I really prayed this plan would not have to come into play. Just have one stress free day.

           I heard the dorm room door open, and saw Harry. He walked in alone. Which struck me as odd, and he also looked terrified.

           "Where is Ron and Hermione?" I asked.

           "Professor Mcgonagall needed to see them. I thought they would be here," he shrugged.

           "Sorry haven't seen them. We should probably get to bed, bug day tommorrow," Thalia left the room.

           The following morning I woke up to see Harry looking noticeably calmer. He was sitting on his bed holding something that looked like seaweed.

           "Percy! I know how I'm going to do it," Harry exclaimed, "Gillyweed, it will last me an hour underwater."

           "That's nice Harry," I murmured, before rolling over to fall back asleep. I heard faint footsteps and voices, but I was already drifting away.

           "Percy! Wake up!" I felt someone shaking me, "The second task is about to start!"

           I sat up quickly, and saw Nico standing over me. I got dressed and followed him down to the lake. He informed me Harry had already left to get ready, and seemed in good spirits. Also, he had not seen Hermione nor Ron yet.

           Once we got to the stands, we saw Thalia saving us two seats. She was looking around frantically. Once her eyes fell on us, her panic turned into anger.

           "Where have you been?" She started, "We need Percy in case it goes bad."

           "He overslept," Nico looked at me.

           "Whatever," I shook my head.

           I sat next to Thalia, and waited for the task to begin. The bell rang, and the four competitors dove into the water. Harry shoved something, I'm guessing Gillyweed, into his mouth.

           "I forgor how much I hated this," I muttered.

           It had been almost three months since the last task, and I appreciated my well deserved break from grey hair. At least this time it was focused around my specialty: water.

           We waited, watching the still water for any sort of ripples. I looked and saw the clock getting closed to zero. Still nothing. Then, a hand reached out of the water, and Cedric Diggory appeared carrying a girl.

           "Did they have hostages under there?" Nico asked.

           "I guess so," Thalia shook her head is disbelief. This school did a lot of sketchy things to their students, that's for sure.

           A few moments later Fleur broke the surface. She was panting heavily, and did not have anyone with her.

           "I need to go back!" She cried.

           I figured she must not have made it. But surely the school wouldn't let students die. Right?

           After a couple more seconds, I saw a shark swim up holding Hermione. So that was where she was. I figured that must be Krum, but something had obviously gone wrong. I mean, it was not a good look for him. He had the head and torso if a shark, but the rest was all human. Something that should never be mixed.

           Dread creeped up on me, as I really Harry was the only one left. The time had run out, and there was no sign of him. The stands were filled with distant chatter, doing nothing to calm my nerves. Looking over, Thalia and Nico looked just as panicked. Thalia had effectively bitten off all of her fingernails, and was starting to look anxious. She kept glancing at the clock, and would bite her lip.

           I couldn't remember how long Harry had said the Gillyweed would last. Was it one hour? Two? I prayed it was two. I prayed to my Dad, something I wouldn't normally do. But in this situation it seemed strangely fitting. Looking at the clock, I felt like I was going to get sick. The other champions seemed nervous too. Surely they had seen Harry down there. They would tell us if something went wrong.

           "Percy he's been under there too long," Thalia cried.

Wow, that's a cliffhanger. Anyways, I have exciting news! As of this morning we are officially at 400 reads! Thank you so much for all your support, and please continue enjoying "The Demigod Invasion"