Chapter 13: The First Task

The excitement over the champions had begun to die down, and tension took it's place. Although Hermione believed Harry, Ron was still adamant over Harry putting his name in the Goblet. Their had also been a large amount of anti-Harry propaganda. For instance, claiming Cedric was the real champion. I felt bad for Harry, I knew what it was like to tag along on something you weren't suppose. A couple years ago Annabeth got kidnapped, and I followed the quest to save her even though I wasn't allowed. However, Harry didn't takd it as well as I did.

           "I just don't know what to do," Harry cried.

           We were sitting in our dorm room. Ron was off who knows where, to avoid Harry.

           "It's okay, he will come around," Nico tried to comfort him.

           "I mean between Ron, this Rita Skeeter article, and the first task tommorrow. I don't know how I'm going to do it. Everyone will laugh at me," Harry slumped into his bed.

           Last week, a journalist name Rita Skeeter published ann article about Harry. She twisted it to make him seem like a sad boy, who constantly mourns his parents death. The Slytherins found in hilarious, and continued to mock Harry.

           "No, you know exactly what you're doing. We practiced with Hermione all evening," Nico reassured him.

           The dorm room door opened and Ron walked in. He trudged to his bed and laid down. We took that as a sign to go to bed. After all, Harry had a busy day tomorrow.

           Nico, Thalia and I were worried sick for tomorrow. We knew we needed to keep Harry safe. But when we found out he was going to be battling a literal dragon, that task seemed a little more difficult. We had spent the last few weeks trying to figure out who put Harry's name in the Goblet. I figured it must be something to do with Hecate, and my dream. We just couldn't quite figure out how this helped her. After all, why would she need a fourteen year old boy?

           The morning arrived quickly, and before I knew it I was sitting in a large crowd. We had gotten to the arena early to get good seats. I wanted to make sure if anything went wrong, we would be there to help Percy.

           I heard some cheers to see the first champion walking out of a tent. It was Cedric Diggory. Watching him get the egg from the dragon was pretty entertaining. He used a rock as a distraction. But after seeing his burns, my nerves increased.

           "Now if he get's killed during this, like, would we be held accountable? I don't think I signed up for fighting dragons," I whispered over to Nico and Thalia. Nico slapped me gently, and I felt a small shock curtsey of Thalia.

           After Cedric, was Fleur, and then Krum, before it was finally Harry. I grasped my hands and leaned forward. I was praying to every single God, starting with the A's, to the B's, etc.

           Harry stepped next to his Dragon, and waved his wand. His broomstick came flying out of nowhere, and Harry jumped on it. Soaring, he went over the dragon's head. I had only ever heard about the brooms, but seeing them in real life was way cooler. I have to admit I expected something similar to your old halloween costume as a kid. But this broom was fancy.

           Harry flew past the dragon, and grabbed the golden egg. Landing safety on the ground, he had done it. Harry had survived. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding. The stadium erupted into cheers. I looked over, and saw Ron, he was cheering louder than anyone else.

           We ran down to meet Harry, and saw Ron had already beaten us there.

           "Harry, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have accused you of putting your name in the Goblet. Seeing you out there, I thought you were going to die mate," Ron looked apologetic.

           "It's about time," Harry embraced Ron in a hug.

           After all the tension from Harry's near death experience, I felt like I was getting grey hairs. Or, adding to my alreay grey streak. I decided I needed to clear my head. So, while the rest of the Gryffindor house partied, I slipped down to sit by the lake. I hadn't been in the water for a while, and I just felt weak. After checking to make sure no one was watching, I slipped into the lake.

           When the cold water hit my face, I felt rejuvenated. I saw something glimmer near the bottom, and I swam towards it. The water here, although not great, was noticeably better than New York. It felt clean.

           Once I reached the bottom of the lake, I saw what the glimmer was. It was a little town of Merfolk. I swam towards them, and they grabbed theirs spears in fear.

           "Woah it's ok," I gurgled, "I'm a son of Poseidon."

           A large Merfolk, who seemed to be the chief, swam over to me and bowed his head. I, unsure of what to do, bowed my head back. I looked around to see the Merfolk. They weren't like from the fairy tales. Instead of having long flowy hair, they were bald and covered in scales. It wasn't exactly "Little Mermaid".

           After deciding I had seen enough, I swam out of the village and to the surface. My head broke the water, and I breathed air again. I climbed out of the water, with my robes still dry, and sat next to a tree. Just being in the water helped refresh me. I saw two figure running out of the woods, and heard shouting. I instinctively grabbed Riptide from my pocket.

           "Percy!" A familiar voice called, it was Thalia, "Help!"

           I rushed over to Nico and Thalia. Thalia looked fine, but Nico had a nasty cut on his arm. He looked paler than usual. Which was definitely saying something.

           "What happened?" I asked, "I thought you were with Harry?"

           "We were. But then I thought I heard something, so we went to investigate. It was another Empousa. She lunged at Nico. I managed to destroy her, but he got hit pretty bad," Thalia panted.

           "I have Ambrosia in my room, but we'll have to get him there," I said.

           Pulling Nico's sleeve down to hide the cut, we grabbed his arms and carried him inside. We were almost to the Gryffindor Common Room, when Nearly Headless Nick spotted us.

           "My lord!" He bowed, "You don't look very good."

           "Not now Nick," I grunted. Nico was heavier than he looked.

           We pushed open the common room door, and tried to subtly carry him up to our dorm. As we opened the door, we saw Harry, Ron, and Hermione inside. Ignoring them we carried Nico into the room, and set him on the bed. I opened up my trunk and began rummaging around. I grabbed some Ambrosia, some bandages, and a couple gauze pads.

           "Blood hell what happened?" Ron shouted.

           "Shh, be quiet. Nico just tripped," Thalia lied.

           "He needs to go to Madam Pomfrey, it looks more serious than that," Hermione said.

           "He's fine," I shouted. The room fell quiet.

           I rushed over to Nico, and gave him the Ambrosia. He ate it, and almost instantly his color started to return. After bandaging up his arm, he seemed a lot better. I just hoped the trio bought our lie about falling.