Chapter 14: The Yule Ball

"So Percy who are you going to ask?" Ron said.

           It had been around a month since the last tournament, and Nico's accident, and the trio seemed to not be suspicious with us. At least, not that they let on. Nico's injury healed up pretty quickly, and it just remained as an injury to his ego. He was angry that he couldn't even protect himself, and how was he going to protect Harry. We kept tellikg him itbwas fine, the three of us were sent together for a reason.

           Ron had just been talking about the Yule Ball, something Professor Mcgonagall had informed us about. We would have to wear fancy dresses, and bring a fancy date, and learn how to fancy dance, and the whole thing seemed horrible. I remember when I had to go to a school dance when we were picking up Nico and Bianca the first time. Apart from being with Annabeth, it was awful. Not to mention I almost died. Just saying, school dances are a safety hazard.

           "Oh I'm not taking anyone," I said calmly, while grabbing some toast.

           "What?" Harry looked at me, "Your not bringing a date?"

           "The only one I'd want to bring is Annabeth," I smiled.

           "Who's Annabeth?" Ron asked.

           "That's Percy's girlfriend," Nico said.

           "His Wise Girl," Thalia added, "We spent the last three years in a would they, or wouldn't they, and they did, and oh never mind he's dating Rachel, to oh wait I think it's happening phase."

           I punched Thalia lightly on the shoulder, rolling my eyes, "Whatever."

           Except for me, everyone else seemed excited for the ball. Harry and Ron weren't sure who to ask, and their attempts failed miserably. A couple guys tried to ask Thalia, and she politely turned them down due to her oath. Well at first she politely turned them down. After more boys kept asking Thalia, she got more and more irritated. People stopped asking her after a while. Nico even got asked by a few people, but the three of us decided we needed to stay focused on Harry. We couldn't let a date distract us, that's not why we were here.

           The evening of the Yule Ball came quickly. Harry and Ron had finally got the guts to ask someone, and were taking a set of twins. Because that's not weird. Hermione also was buzzing. She claimed she had a date, much to Ron's dismay.

           It was a few minutes before the Ball was suppose to start, and we were lounging in the Gryffindor Common Room. Hermione was still getting ready, and told us to leave without her. Walking down to the Great Hall, I had a bad feeling. I hated dances. I mean last time I went to one I ended up fighting a Manticore.

           Thalia, Nico, and I sat down at one of the tables while Harry and Ron danced. We figured as long as we could see them, it would be fine. Figuring this would be a good time to talk, we started piecing together all our clues.

           "So we know the first incident was at the World Cup," Thalia started, "Some mark in the sky."

           "Do you think that was Hecates doing?" Nico asked.

           "It had to be," I shook my head, "I think this is all part of her elaborate plan."

           "But what is that?" Thalia said.

           "Let's start over," Nico suggested, "First was Percy getting attacked, and Kelli said we were interfering with her Masters plans. Then, was Percy's dream where Hecate accused him of forgetting her like all the other mortal. Then, Percy had another dream talking about blood and another plan. Then, I got attacked-"

           "Did the Empousa say anything specifically weird?" I interrupted.

           "I don't know I was a little busy dying," Nico shot back. It was a sore subject for him.

           "Oh I do remember her saying something about her army is growing, and there is nothing we can do," Thalia jumped in.

           I shook my head, "So is this all some revenge plot? Why bring Harry into it?"

           Just then, Harry and Ron walked over to us and we had no choice but to stop talking. They sat down at our table, and looked defeated. Harry had apparently gotten a crush on this girl, but she was already with Cedric Diggory. And Ron, he would never admit to it, but Hermione was with Krum. I have to say their relationship seemed similar to Annabeth and I's. The denying feelings, trying to just be friends. It doesn't work, luckily for me.

           "Where are your dates?" I asked.

           "They were bored. We didn't feel like dancing," Harry muttered.

           Well I guess this just proves my point, that all school dances are bad school dances. Hermione walked over to our table, and she looked beautiful. Her curls were defined and shiny. They were elegantly draped over her shoulder, and there was something different about her face. I couldn't quite figure it out.

           "Isn't this just so fun," Hermione glowed. She seemed the happiest I had ever seen her.

           I heard Ron mutter something under his breath, and Hermione's positive energy dropped.

           "Why do you have to ruin everything!" She cried.

           Hermione ran towards the staircase to leave the ball room, and I was glad I didn't hear what Ron said. Ron got up and walked away from the table, I think he went outside. I looked at Thalia and Nico, who also looked uncomfortable.

           Harry laid his head down on the table, as a sort of defeat. The poor kid was not having the yesr he expected. Most of the hate for him being a champion had blown off after the first task. I guess people realized how dangerous it truly was. But, Draco and his friends still continued to torment him. I think Harry was glad to have Ron back on his side, but I think Ron is not a very good friend. I mean good friends should support you from the beginning, not just when it's convenient for them.

           "I don't think relationships are worth all this trouble," Harry muttered.