Chapter 11: Unforgivable Curses

"Where have you been!" Hermione shouted at us.

           We had just found our way back into the common room to find Harry, Ron, and Hermione waiting for us. They looked panicked.

           "We thought Malfoy could have gotten to you or something!" She continued.

           "Hermione calm down. We just went to look around, and we got lost," Thalia tried to soothe Hermione.

           Hermione, unhappy with Thalia's efforts walked up the girls stairs. Thalia, saying good night, sprinted after her. Ron and Harry shrugged, unsure of what to do, and the four of us walked up to our dorm.

           "So you guys just got lost?" Ron asked.

           "Yeah, we were walking outside to get some fresh air, and couldn't find the stairs," I didn't exactly lie.

           Harry and Ron, happy with our answer, turned off the lights and went to bed. I rolled onto my back to try and fall asleep. I felt myself slipping into another unwilling dream.

           I was standing in the corner of a dark room. I saw a dimly lit lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. There was a small desk, and a man sitting at it. He looked rat like, a little chubby.

           "This-This is how we will do it," The man snickered to someone, "We will get you his blood."

           I moved quietly to get a better view, I couldn't see who the man was talking to. I heard a creak behind me, the man turned.

           "You're here," The man said.

           I at first, thought he was talking to me. But I noticed something walk past me, an Empousa. It wasn't Kelli this time, but a different one. She walked over to the man.

           "Master wants to make sure her plan will work, can't have anyone finding out," the Empousa said.

           The man nodded, his face was pale and obviously scared. I would be too of course. The Empousa had her fangs bared, and was getting closer to the man.

           "Now, do you think you have heard enough Perseus Jackson?"

           I felt like my heart dropped. The Empousa turned at me rapidly. With her fangs and claws ready, she lunged at me. I couldn't move, or react, or do anything. I just stood there.

           I sat straight up in bed, panting heavily. I felt sweaty, and pulled off my covers. I walked over to the bathroom, and splashed some cold water on my face. It helped calm me down. I reached into my pajama pocket, and felt riptide. Just gripping the pen made me feel at ease.

           I walked back over to my bed, and tried to fall asleep again. The details of my dream were swirling around my head. Whose blood was the man talking about?

           I woke up the following morning to Nico falling out of his bed. He jumped up nervously, unsure of what just happened. I figured now was a good time to get up, and I pulled on my robes.

           Today we had Transfiguration, Potions, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. I was extremely nervous for Transfigurations, as it was my first class having to pretend to have magic. Chiron promised us it would be okay and the mist would help. But, I was still uncertain.

           Strangely, it actually did go well. Professor Mcgonagall was very excited to meet us, and she even showed us how she could transform into a cat. I had to admit, that cat looked familiar though. I just couldn't remember from where. Figuring it would come to me, I decided not to push it and just enjoy the rest of class.

           After Transfigurations, we trudged over to Potions. Harry, Ron, and Hermione all came very unwillingly. They had told us a couple nights ago how much they despised Professor Snape. Knowing this, I prepared myself for someone similar to Mrs. Dodds my sixth grade pre-algebra teacher. She turned out to be one of the Furies, and live in literal Hell. My guess was pretty much correct, Snape was truly awful. He made one student, Neville Harry had called him, make a potion in front of everyone and feed it to his toad. Hermione tried to help him stealthily and he took ten points from Gryffindor.

           That is something I found particularly odd, the point system. So each house get awarded or revoked points, and anyone in their house can contribute. So, by answering a question right you help your house. But, if you misbehave, you harm it. It was a little insane. Harry was telling me, at the end of the year, the house with the most points wins the house cup.

           Our last class of the day was Defense Against the Dark Arts. This was something the trio were very excited for. Ron's older brothers, Fred and George, were telling them about their class. Which, only made Harry, Ron, and Hermione more eager. I, for one, was not thrilled with going to this class. After seeing how brutal Moody was to Draco, whether or not he deserved it, I was concerned to let Harry be around him. There was something that just bothered me about that guy, he seemed suspicious.

           Once we got to Defense Against the Dark Arts, we sat down at a row of tables and pulled out our books. We waited for a few moments for class to begin. I heard a lout grunt, and turned to see Moody hobble in.

           "Put those books away you won't need them," he grunts, "I am going to teach you counter-curses this year."

           We set our books under the table, and watched Professor Moody sit down. He grabbed three spiders from his desk and showed them to the class.

           "The unforgivable curses," he started, "Use one of these and you are guaranteeing a lifetime in Azkaban."

           Moody waved his wand, and the first spider started to walk around in sink with Moody's wand.

           "The Imperius curse. Makes you able to control people."

           He moved to the next spider. It started to bunch up, noticeably in pain.

           "The Cruciatus curse. Brings terrible pain onto your victim."

           I noticed the boy, Neville looking noticeably distressed. Moody did as well, and moved onto the next spider. He waved his wand, and the spider dropped dead.

           "Avada Kedava, the killing curse. There is only one person who has ever survived this one, and he is sitting right in front of me," Moody moved closer to Harry with a weird grin on his face. I instinctively put my hand in front of Harry, and Moody moved backwards.

           "Class dismissed," Moody called, walking back to his desk.

           We shuffled out quickly, and I noticed Moody call Neville to stay back.

           "What's up with Neville?" Nico asked, noticing this occurance too.

           "An evil wizard used the Cruciatus curse on his parents, they went insane," Hermione said gravely.

           I looked down at my feet, and just focused on walking. Didn't any of these wizards have a happy childhood?

What is your favorite spell? Comment down below, and make sure to hit that vote button!