Chapter Eighteen

LAUREN'S P.O.V.

Shari and Mike were being so nice to let me stay, but I don't think it will work. It can't. As Mike left the table and Shari started burgers for dinner I looked at Brenton.

"Brenton," I started. "I don't know if this will work. I don't think I can stay here if we're dating."

Shari interrupted. "Honey,you are more than welcome to stay but if you want to leave, I'll talk to the Lukes' and we can get you moved there at the end of the week."

I nodded. "I would like that.  My ex-boyfriend had tried to get me to live with him and his mom had a similar set of guidelines. It didn't work out, and our relationship went south."

The phone rang. "Hello," Shari answered. "Yes, she's right here. Would you like to speak with her? Yes. Ok. Here she is." She held the phone out to me.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Lauren, honey, hi. I missed you so much," my mom's voice said.

I laughed. "Is this a joke? Because it's not funny. You didn't want me to stay. Don't act like talking to me now is so damn important."

My mom sighed. "It's not like that honey. I wanted you to stay but, well, just listen for a minute ok?"

"Ok," I replied reluctantly.

"A few months after Benji passed, your father began to drink. You know how he is when he gets drunk. He started hitting me, even when he wasn't drunk. Then two months ago, his boss finally fired him. That's why he was always home so early and I was home so late. I didn't want him to hit me for talking back to him. I'm so sorry, honey," she explained.

"Then why did you stay? You could have left and gotten help. Why didn't you leave?"

She sighed again. "And leave you to be his new punching bag? I would never do that to you.  I was so afraid that night that he would hit you instead. You don't understand how much I love you.  Please understand. I want you to come stay with me. I rented an apartment, somewhere for just the two of us. Please,"

I walked into the living room and sat on the faded brown leather loveseat. "Mom, I'm sorry. I wish I had known. And I want to come stay with you, Mom, I really do. I have so much to tell you. You have no idea,"

"Ok, honey. Can you put Shari on the phone so we can talk about getting you moved in here?"

"Sure. Shari, my mom wants to talk to you," I said, handing her the phone. Brenton looked at me questioningly as I sat down at the table. I filled him in quickly, before Shari turned to me.

"Get your things together, sweetheart. Your mom will be here soon to pick you up. I'm so glad that it's working out."

I got up from the table and hugged Shari tightly. "Thank you so much. For everything," I whispered.

"No problem, sweetie. Anything for you," she replied.

Walking to Brenton's room, I grabbed my bag and turned around to see him in the doorway.

He didn't say anything and instead took my bag in one hand and my hand in the other.

Setting my bag down on the loveseat, he wrapped his arms around me. "Remember, you are always welcome here, ok? And I will always protect you, ok? From anything."

"Yeah," I said wiping tears from my eyes. "Today was a pretty good example of that."

The doorbell rang. Time to start over.

_______________________________________________________________

241 reads! I am amazed at this guys! Thank you! ilysm and really appreciate it. Don't forget to vote and follow!

-baby-boo-1027