Chapter Twenty

After leaving my appointment, I drive to Brenton's house. Knocking on the door, Shari answered.

"Hey, honey. He's in his room."

I thanked Shari and walked back to his room. Knocking on the door, I opened it. Mike suddenly called out to him from the basement. Before Brenton could leave the room.

"Can I use your phone? Mine died earlier."

"Sure. It's on the chair," he said, walking out into the hallway. I grabbed his phone and a text message appeared on the screen. From Audrey.

Audrey: Love you too. Can't wait to see you later. :)

He walked into his room and I turned to him.

"What the hell, Brenton? you told me we couldn't hang out for very long because you were busy. With family stuff. but you're hanging out with her! You lied to me! I trusted you!"

"You don't understand-" he said.

"No don't tell me I don't understand! How long? How long has it been?"

"We've been dating for six months, so four and a half months, I think."

"Oh my god. I can't believe you. I cannot believe you!" I said walking out of the room. "Bye, Shari, Mike, Justin. hopefully I'll see you around every once in awhile."

Shari looked shocked. "What do you mean?"

I glanced back at her. "He's been cheating on me. For four and a half months." Shari didn't have time to react before I was out the door, in my car and pulling away.

Stopping a few blocks away, I finally let myself break down. The tears poured down my face as I dialed Brooklyn's number. She answered on the first ring.

"He ch-cheated on me," I sobbed into the phone. "With Audrey." I couldn't control the sobs any longer.

"Hey, it's gonna be ok. I promise. It will all be ok." We made plans to meet at a nearby Starbucks in fifteen minutes. Brooklyn would help me feel better.