9

Gus's pov:

"Where we're you?" My roommate asks as I walk in.

"Spent the night at Rose's." I say pulling my hoodie off.

I sit on the couch and watch the TV. My roomie sits next to me.

"I don't like her. I heard about her. She hides. She's dating that Danny dude."

"Not anymore." I say smiling.

"Why you look like that?"

"Cause.....I'm falling in love with her."
·
·
·

Rose's pov:

I lay my head back. School drags on. Again. Here I am. Danny tried calling me twice last night. I answered the third time. He was drunk. Asking me to come over. Something inside me breaks but I hang up.

Gus called me at 4 a.m saying he's on his way to pick me up for morning breakfast at Starbucks. I laugh and get up.

Putting on pants and a loose long sleeve T-Shirt. I put my hair in a messy bun leaving a stand of curly hair on both sides of face down. I put my IPhone in my pocket and grab my keys. I turn on my Bluetooth headset and turn on spotlight by lil peep and marshmallow.

I hear the knock.

"Morning my Rose." Gus says I open the door.

"Good morning." I pull out a $50, "will this be enough for my hair?"

"Yes." He hold out his arm and I take it. He leads me to his car and opens the door. I get in to listen to Moonlight by XXXTentacion. I turn my music off. He gets in and leans on the middle section. I lay against his arm.

We get to Starbucks in silence. Me and him get out and go in to see Danny with a new girl. He stares at me. So does the girl.

"How may I help you?" Asks the woman at the cash register.
"One large cappuccino and...." Gus looks at me.

"And a medium ice coffee with milk."I say almost quietly he hands her the money. She smiles asking for names. Gus gives them to her leading me to a table 4 Windows away from Danny and the girl I never recognized.

Gus looks at me.

"So....Um....Prom is well.....7 weeks away. And I wanted to know if...."  He starts.

"Gus and Rose." He stops and I get up getting them. I hurry to take a sip.

"What were you saying?" I ask.

"Nothing." He says.

I take another sip of my coffee.

"Rose? Do you....care for me?" He asks. His eyes light up a bit. Something about them continue to draw me in. I hold a breath think carefully. Anything could set him off.

I think yes.

"As a friend."

"Ok." He says looking down. I frown. His face has many emotions flashing. Sadness and embaressment to name some,

«fast forward 4 hours»

I was at my locker. Danny comes up. His face with a evil grin. One that could make him the devil himself. I've never seen this face. I stand taller hoping to make myself look better than the person I am.

"Now you hanging with the junkie?" He says leaning. His sister behind him. Everyone hears him, "Cheating on me with him." Danella pushes her phone in my face. A picture of me and Gus in the lake.

The students gather in a circle in around us. I try not to shrink. His eyes pierce me.

"Did that stop you from cheating on me with that middle schooler in 7th grade when you were in 11th!" Everyone gasp. I promised not to tell anyone. Gus appears next to me. Tears form in my eyes. The crowd gets thicker.

"I didn't cheat on you. I loved you. I was being nice. But you are like every high school movie and book. A cheating backstabbing football player." I yell. Danielle comes up.

"Don't yell at my brother you lil ---" I throw a punch. A punch knocking her out.

I slam my locker leaving. I go out to the parking lot getting in my car hitting my head against the steering wheel. The passenger car door opens and Gus gets in.

"Where we going?" He asks.

"I don't know." He laces our fingers together.

"Let go get your hair done."

·
·
·
Gus's pov:

I can feel the steam flowing in her hand. She drives with her one hand to the directions I tell her. We pull into a ColorFox. A store behind the big city.

They do tattoos and color hair. We walk in.

"Wassup Gussy pooh!" Says my main stylist Cherry. She runs up and shakes my hand and looks at Rose, "Whos the beautiful one?"

"Rose meet Cherry. She's here to get her hair done like mine, Cherry."

Cherry smiles. She leads us to the counter and grabs a note pad.
"On the house Gus. No payment. Your my main. Y'all can come free. Now some questions for Mrs. Rose." I look down at her. Her eyes turned into a blueish color recently.

"Is your red hair natural?" Cherry asks.

"No." Rose replies.

"Do you want tips or full hair?"

"Full."

"Gus's color?"

"Yes."

"Gus?I'll do yours too. It needs touched up."