40

Gustav is still asleep when momma gets home. My "dad" sits in her chair and tells me about the last few years of his life. Mental hospital, then rehab center, church, back to rehab and now sober for 3 years.

Momma comes in with a handful of JCPenney bags. She doesn't notice us but starts to play Gus's newer song Spotlight. Gus stirs to the loud music and opens his big brown eyes. I still sit on the floor by him.

"Hope your nap was good. Momma is home." I say. He smiles.

"She's listening to my music." He says. His voice is happy and soft.

"Your boyfriend has music?"my dad whispers in my ear.

"Yeah. It's kinda his thing."I respond.

Mom hums around in the kitchen put a kettle of tea on. Gus stands up and walks to the kitchen dragging me off the floor with him. Dad quietly follows behind and careful not to get to close.

Gus takes my mom's hand and she smiles at him.

"Is it a good song?" He asks. She smiles big at him.

"All of your music is good Gustav. I wouldn't ever hate a song written by you." She looks behind him at my dad and her face drops.

"What are you doing here?" Her voice raised to a momma voice.

"I came to visit."his voice is low like he's scared.

"What makes you think you can come back?"

"You told me when I get sober, then we can talk about me seeing Rose."

"Yeah, I doubt your sober."

"3 years as of 2 weeks ago." Her face calms down.

"3 years? I- wow." I grab Gustav's hand and lead him away.

"I wanna watch." Gustav whispers.

"No baby. Let's go out and get some food." He nods along.

________
A/N: Short chapter . Sowwy