Relax

By: elleuhrveeem
From : Tumblr

Sunlight hit your eyes and blinded your vision. The opening of the metal box had just creaked open and you now stood face to face with a crowd of boys looking down on you with uncertainty in their face. You cautiously stood up, never breaking eye contact.

“That’s not a boy,” someone had whispered, the silence amplifying the sound.

“A girl, that’s what they call it,” replied another.

Questions were already racing through your head but you shook them all off and pushed them away. You didn’t need those questions right now. You just wanted a way out. And you found it. Directly on top of you, a gap was in between the crowd of boys. Wide enough for you to scoot through if you ran fast enough. Where would you end up? Didn’t matter. You would figure that part out later.

Ready?

Gritting your teeth, you leapt up and out of the box and sprinted as fast as your legs could carry you. Jeers from the boys arose. “We’ve got ourselves a runner here!”

Good, keep going. Keep running.

You looked everywhere around you, just green grass and four gray walls. Where exactly were you going?

Keep running, keep running.

The cheers from behind you had gotten louder and you didn’t care for the reason why. You didn’t know them, you didn’t know this place and there was no reason for you to look back at them.

You gotta get out, you gotta get out.

All of a sudden, an arm snaked around your waist and pulled you back. You shrieked at the sudden, unfamiliar and unwanted contact. “Let me go!” you yelled and elbowed the one who held you captive hard in the torso.  You heard the thud as he yelped in pain but your attempt to escape resulted in failure.

“What did you do that for, shank?” he said as the other arm came around you and tackled you to the ground. With a groan, your back hit the cold grass and you felt your brain shake in your skull. Despite the pain, you found yourself staring into dark brown eyes of a tanned and black-haired boy, panting and trying to catch his breath. He had both your arms pinned to the side of your head while his strong build hovered over your fragile body and you didn’t know what to make of the situation.

Your chest heaved up and down as you panted but he seemed unfazed, his eyes still locked with yours. Truthfully, it felt like all of time had frozen.

But he was a stranger. You didn’t know him. You had every right to protest.

“Let me go,” you said through gritted teeth .

“Nope,” he smiled mischievously. “Not until Alby gets here.”

Who?

“I’ll say it again,” you muttered harshly. “Let. Me. Go.” You tried to strain your wrists with the hope of being able to slip past his grip.

“Stop trying, you’re going to hurt yourself.”

“Let me go!” you yelled as you struck your knee against his thigh.

“Didn’t hurt, nice try,” he chuckled.

“Minho, easy,” another voice said. This Minho boy looked up and so did you, a very authoritative looking man greeting your sight. “I’ll take it from here.”

Minho stood up but still held you by one wrist in case you tried to make a run for it again. “All yours, Alby.”

—————-

The Glade. Gladers. You didn’t know your name but you were one of them now. You stared into the fire as lunch was being prepared by the person who had introduced himself to you as Frypan. You sat alone, too afraid to talk to anyone and everyone else seemed too busy in their own conversations to talk to you anyway. Every inch of your new environment threatened you in every away despite all of what Alby had said. You didn’t want to be here.

Lost in your thoughts, you didn’t notice someone sit beside you until his knee accidentally brushed against his yours. Surprised, you flinched in your seat as you heard a familiar chuckle.

“Name’s Minho,” he smiled

Oh. The boy who pinned you down.

“I know,” you mumbled. Slightly happy at the thought of company yet still afraid and wondering why he had even bothered to sit next you.

“Guessing you can’t tell me your name yet,” he casually replied as he took a swig of something that had a terrible stench which shot straight up through your nose.

“Right,” you wrinkled your nose then pinched the bridge, unwilling to smell more of what it was he was drinking. “What is that? That smells disgusting.”

“Frypan’s brew. Goes down like liquid fire but you get quite used to it,” he laughed as he took another swig.

“I liked how you ran,” he added.

“You liked how I ran? I elbowed you and struck you with my knee,” you began. “Oh, right, I’m really sorry for that!” you added as you shook your head in disapproval of your demeanor earlier on. You really did feel quite guilty.

He chuckled. “It’s alright, greenie. Reflexes, we all have them. And you’ve got ‘em pretty good.”

You felt an uncontrollable smile claim your lips and it was honestly the most secure you’ve ever felt since the moment you bolted from that box.

“Thanks,” you shyly responded as heat crept up to your cheeks.

“You’re gonna fit in just fine,” he said as he chuckled again and his low chuckle this time made you feel something very different but very likeable. Unfamiliar, yet pleasing.

He turned to look at you and electricity connected between your eyes. You knew because you felt your skin shiver and currents run through your veins.

“I already like you,” he mumbled as he immediately shut himself up with the last mouthful of brew.

《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》《¤》
IG | | typically.thomas