Compass

By: Randomfandomimagine
From: Tumblr

I absently looked over my shoulder to see if Y/N was following me.

She was, but stayed behind. The poor girl was struggling to keep up with me, and panted as if she had never run in her life.

"Dude, you look like klunk" I commented as I stopped running and walked back to her.

"Shut up, you shank" She stopped for a moment and leaned in the wall to catch her breath.

Like me, Y/N was a Runner. And I had been very impressed when she barely got tired during our first time running together.

She was fast, sly and tireless.

But that day there was something slightly wrong. Y/N wasn't in an optical condition.

It was true that I had noticed a change in her usual demeanor. After all, we were really close friends and spent a lot of time together.

But I didn't want to say anything because I knew she was just as proud as I was. She would either get mad that I was doubting her or simply brush it off.

"Do I have to carry your ass back to the Glade, sweetheart?" I playfully told her, taking advantage and taking a breather as well.

Luckily that day we were ahead on schedule and we could allow ourselves to waste a bit of time to rest.

"You would like that, huh?" She grinned even though it was obvious that she was beyond exhausted.

I smirked, knowing that she was still well enough to sass me back. That girl was one of my favorite people of the Glade, she was just so cool.

"Wouldn't mind being called a hero"

Sarcastically chuckling, she pushed herself away from the wall and began walking.

"You're too stupid to become an actual hero, shuck face" Before she began to jog again, she playfully slapped me in the cheek.

"Says the freaking genius of the Glade" I rolled my eyes at her even if she couldn't see me.

"Come on, you slow shank!" She called as she wasn't slowing down for me.

Smirking happily, I followed her in a brisk but not too fast pace.

I grinned, feeling so fond of her. Along with Newt, Thomas, Alby and a few other Gladers, she was one of the people I cherished the most.

Not that I would tell any of those shanks any of that.

*

I was so close to dragging Y/N's ass to the Med-Jacks.

She freaking blacked out for a moment once we set foot on the Glade! If I hadn't held her up, she would have faced planted on the floor.

When Newt noticed, he was freaking out. That slinthead sure knows how to worry for us in his own somewhat exaggerated way.

And since he was the second in command and felt too apprehensive about her, he ordered her to go to the Map Room and then rest. No more running for the moment.

As many times, I agreed with him. That girl had been overdoing herself so much it was insane.

She ran the Maze every single day with me, and she also helped me teach Thomas to be a Runner himself. Y/N wouldn't stop pacing up and down the Glade doing something to help, whether it was on the Gardens or in the Kitchen or anywhere.

And I knew that girl better than I knew myself. She had many reasons to be so hardworking.

First of, she wanted to teach a lesson to all those shanks that thought that a girl was not of much help in the Glade. Those few shanks being basically Gally and other slintheads that went through the Changing and were assholes anyway.