Chapter Ten: Reconcile

My mother and I set up a place for Ka-Chan on the floor. We put a mattress down on the rug, which occupied most of the remaining space in my room. Next we cleared half the closet and some extra storage space for him, while Ka-Chan just watched.

"You could help, you know." I said.

"I could, but I don't wanna."

"You are so rude."

"True."

"Ugh, can't deal with you."

"Then don't. It's not like I wanna be here."

"Then leave."

"Boys, no fighting." Ma cut in.

We finished the rest of our work in silence, all the while I wanted to punch Ka-Chan. I don't know why, I just wanted to punch him. He didn't look thrilled either, he had a scowl on his face that never left.

"Okay, finally done! You can start settling in and I'll go make dinner. You boys must be tired after the exam." My cheery mother said and left.

I was alone in a room with Ka-Chan, who looked like he was about to kill me, the feeling was mutual. He unpacked in silence and I went back into my depression. I was zoned out and lost track of time. The next thing I knew,
Ka-Chan was sitting right in front of me.

"Deku?" He asked in an unusually soft tone.

"Mmm?" I asked absentmindedly.

"Look at me." He said sternly.

I obviously didn't, so he responded by gripping the bottom of my chin and turning my head. He had a remorseful look on his face, an almost sad look. I've never seen a look of concern for others on Ka-Chan's face.

"What is it?" He asked softly.

"I blew it." I said almost immediately.

He took his thumb and wiped tears off my face, "Blew what?" I didn't even realize I was crying.

"The test."

"The test?"

"The entrance exam."

"Deku, I'm sure you got in."

I looked at him through teary eyes, what is this? Why is he being nice?

"Look, they will post the results later today, and you will get an email. Ok? I'm sure of it."

I stared at him for a few moments, when did he start being kind? "Thank you Ka-Chan. I didn't know you could be so sweet."

"Sweet? Me?"

I laughed, "Yeah, you."

"I'm not sweet!"

"Ok, totally agree, you are the worst person." I teased.

"That's more like it."

"But can I ask you a question."

"What is it?"

"Why are you living with us, Ka-Chan."

"That's a hard one to answer."

"You don't have to answer."

"No, I'll tell you. I'm here because my parents left." Something tells me, he wanted to answer.

"What do you mean left?"

"I mean, my dad got a job faraway and they left. Better pay or whatever."

"Awww, I'm sorry. Why didn't you go?"