5. Not My Type

Nathan

I could feel Percy's eyes glaring at me as I drove back to the hotel we were staying in. I kept my scowl fixed on the road ahead of me.

After several minutes of silence, Percy finally spoke.

"So are you going to tell me what that was all about then?" he asked.

"That was about me being pissed off at having to go and get your sorry ass out of trouble...again!"

"Again? That was the first time in about 2 months!" Percy argued back.

I laughed, but it was full of sarcasm. "You say that like it's a good thing. Never would be a good thing!"

"And it's not like I was getting in trouble. It was just a party."

"Yes, a college party! And you're just 16!" I shot back.

Percy had been trouble ever since he turned 14. He was your basic rebel. Always looking to break the rules, always looking to be different from everyone else. On the whole it didn't bother me. Only when I got dragged in to help did it start to grate a bit.

He also looked older than 16, and that didn't help. It meant that getting hold of alcohol was fairly easy for him, which just led to more trouble.

"And that was worth nearly strangling me for?" he asked. "I mean, I expected you to be pissed at having to come and get me, but that was a bit much even for you. What aren't you telling me? Why specifically did you tell me to never touch that guy again?"

I sighed. This was why I hated having a mate. It affected my behaviour and led to awkward conversations such as this one.

"Because you're 16. Did he even know how old you were?" I said, trying to move the conversation onto something else.

"For fuck's sake, it was only a kiss! It wasn't like I was going to take him to bed. Although I wouldn't have minded, he had a sexy...."

My arm flew out to the side and pinned his head up against the window of the door in one fluid motion.

"Say that again, and you'll feel real pain," I growled.

A car honked its horn behind me, and I realised I'd come to a stop in the middle of the road.

I released my hand from the side of Percy's head and continued to drive.

Percy shuffled in his seat uneasily, but then said quietly, "See, that's what I'm talking about."

I ignored him, wishing the traffic was lighter so I could get back quicker.

"It's him isn't it? What's so special about him?"

I ignored him again.

"I'll just ask Ronan if you don't tell me."

I groaned. Of course Ronan would tell him. Ronan told his brother everything, and I knew he would relish in making fun out of me for what happened tonight.

Ronan had a certain sense of mischief, which regularly got me into trouble. I specifically remember one time when he had managed to persuade a member of staff at Blackwood manor that I was an intruder. The said member of staff then launched himself at me and managed to headbutt me in the process.

I looked across at Percy and saw that he was grinning at me. He knew he had won.

"Fine!" I huffed. "That guy you were about to kiss, happens to be my mate."

I glanced across and saw Percy's eyes widen and his jaw drop slightly.

"Him," he said, "and you? Are you sure? I mean I wouldn't have thought he was your type."