13. Contact Details

Nathan

I didn't want to be here. Every fibre of my being was screaming at me to leave.

Well, actually, that wasn't quite true. My heart was screaming for me to stay, but every other part of me just wanted to get as far away as possible.

I hated Ronan and his big idea. I knew Cole would be here. I just knew it. Why wouldn't he listen to me?!

The moment I entered into the lecture theatre I could sense him in the room. And before long, I caught his scent. That was the thing about mates. You became highly attuned to their scent meaning you could pick it out easily among a group of people, and from a distance too.

God he smelled good. Like the forest just after a heavy downpour.

I forced myself to breathe through my mouth to not be drawn in by it any further.

I needed to look at the silver lining here. Ronan had said that if Cole got involved, I could pass the project onto someone else. And it's not like I wanted to do this in the first place. Why would I want to have to make conversations with these humans? At least now I wouldn't have to do it.

Assuming Cole would sign up of course. But I already knew without a doubt that he would.

Thankfully Cole was sat at the back so I managed to get through my 5 minute talk without having to look anywhere near him. I just focused on the front couple of rows.

Once I had finished, the class started to file out, and myself and James waited at the front to see if anyone wanted to sign up.

A chubby kid with spiky brown hair walked over to me.

"Hi, I'd like to volunteer," he said, grinning at me.

Why was he grinning like that? Anyone would think I was offering free candy or something.

"Sure," I said, trying not to show my obvious displeasure at being here. "What's your name?"

"Charlie," he said, that idiotic grin still on his face.

"Ok Charlie, can you fill in this form for me?" I asked, handing him a form on a clipboard.

The college had helped us design the form. It asked for some contact details, some medical info, and about their experience with woodland ecology.

As I watched him fill in the form I heard someone shout my name.

I instinctively looked up and saw that girl that Cole was with at the party. I couldn't help but see Cole who was sat next to her, looking extremely uncomfortable, like he wanted to climb into his bag.

I felt a scowl come onto my face as my protective side kicked in. Why was he cowering like that? Had someone done something to him?

"LOOK NATHAN, COLE'S HERE TOO!" she cried out, pointing with both her hands towards Cole's head, that I swear was now actually in his bag.

On hearing his name, he tentatively pulled his face up to look at me, and gave me a quick wave.

Ah, I think I understood now. His face seemed quite flushed. He was clearly embarrassed by something.

I felt my muscles untense, now I knew he wasn't in any kind of pain.

I looked across at James and handed him a couple of forms. "Go, and see if they want to sign up," I said.

James just stood there grinning at me. "I think she wants to see you Nathan."

"Just go!" I ordered with a slight growl. I didn't need to raise my voice, my glare did the job for me.