29. I Feel It

Nathan

I knew we didn't have long before we would be found. But I didn't care right now. All that mattered was that I had my Cole in my arms. Here. With me.

And this was exactly why I didn't accept my my mate before. You see now, I should have been helping out. Checking if everyone was ok, which I was pretty sure wasn't the case, and doing what I could to assist with catching those who were responsible.

But instead, here I was, self indulging. Breathing in the scent of my mate and relishing the feeling of his arms wrapped tightly around me.

And boy, did it feel good. And now I'd done it, now I had finally given into the pull, I knew that there was nothing I could do to change a damn thing.

Because right now, I didn't even care about the rest of my pack. I only cared about the most precious thing to me in the world. The boy in my arms.

And that made me both angry and relieved at the same time. Relieved that I had finally stopped fighting this. But angry that I was weaker than I thought.

"Are you ok?" came a small voice from somewhere in my chest.

I gently pulled Cole back by his shoulders to look at his beautiful multi colored eyes.

"Of course I am. It's you I'm worried about."

Cole tipped his head slightly to one side as his eyes seemed to scrutinise my face. It was both adorable and unnerving in equal measure.

"You're tense," he replied.

I took note of my muscles, and yes, he was right, I was tense. I forced my body to relax, then shot Cole a smile.

"Better?"

He frowned, although the corners of his mouth tugged up a little.

"It would be better if you'd tell me what was bothering you," he said.

I turned my face away from his stare and started to get up, forcing Cole to climb off my lap. As soon as we broke contact I regretted it. I felt empty and alone, like a raft adrift at sea, and Cole was my anchor.

But I had to get up, because my body was suddenly full of this nervous tension, which meant that I needed to move to try to release some of it.

"I told you, I'm fine," I said, while poking at the ground with my foot.

I was not fine. I was far from fine. Part of me was screaming to grab hold of Cole again and never let him go, part of me was itching to change into my wolf and just run off all this pent up nervous energy, and another part of me wanted to prove that having a mate would not stop me from doing my duties, and go and find the rest of the group to see what needed to be done.

I looked up at Cole and saw such a look of sadness in his eyes that I quickly closed the distance between us and pulled him back into my chest.

I immediately heard him let out a sigh of relief. Did he think I was going to reject him again?

The sound of footsteps getting closer caused me to pull away, but I kept one arm around Cole, not wanting to break the contact again.

A police officer suddenly appeared through the trees. She took one look at us, then put two fingers in her mouth and let out an ear piercing whistle, before yelling, "I've found him, he's over here!"

Just seconds later, footsteps seemed to be coming from every direction and then we were surrounded by police.

The crowd seemed to part as one guy stepped through and before I knew it, Cole was pulled out of my arms and into his.