31. There's Something I Need to Tell You

Sebastian

I drummed my fingers on the table impatiently. What was taking him so long?

I opened my mouth to shout his name again, but then I heard the door to his bedroom open, so I clamped my mouth back shut.

I suddenly felt very self conscious just sitting here doing nothing, so I glanced around quickly, before picking up a random catalogue that had come through the post, and pretended to be casually looking through it.

I knew I was going to have this conversation with Cole one day. I just didn't think it would be under these circumstances.

As Cole and Nathan approached the table, I shut the catalogue and pushed it to one side, only then realising that it was in fact 'Millers catalogue of Mobility Aids' with "Mobility Scooters Half Price" emblazoned across the front in big red letters.

I quickly shoved the catalogue off the table, letting it plop onto the floor.

Thankfully Cole seemed too distracted to notice anything I was doing.

After they both seated themselves at the table, I gave a short cough to clear my throat.

"So, is there anything the two of you want to tell me?" I asked, using the same tone I often did in the police interview room.

"Erm," Cole said, swallowing nervously. "Well, me and Nathan, are kind of dating, I guess?" he said, shooting a look towards Nathan as if to check that was the case.

Nathan's eyebrows twitched, seemingly shocked to be dragged into the conversation so early, but then he turned to me and said,

"Yes, I am dating your son, Sir. I hope that's ok with you?"

"Mmm," I mumbled in response, my eyes moving back and forth between the two of them, holding a steady glare.

"And when exactly did this all happened?" I asked. "Apart from you bringing Cole home that night he was drunk, I haven't seen or heard anything else of you since."

"I've seen him a few times," Cole replied defensively, "and we've only just started dating, so it's new to me too."

I looked between the two of them again. They were sat so close together that their shoulders and arms were touching, and I'd bet that their legs were pressed against each other under the table too.

I had my suspicions of what was going on here, but I was interested to know if Cole would hide it from me.

"Ok," I said slowly, "I don't mind the two of you dating, but I'm setting some rules."

Cole opened his mouth, either in shock at my acceptance, or to protest against my rules, but I didn't let him interrupt.

"Rule 1. You always tell me where you are, and who you are with. Rule 2. No staying out overnight. Rule 3. Nathan cannot stay overnight here either. Rule 4. If you're in your bedroom, the door stays open. Rule 5..."

"Dad!" Cole said crossly, the chair scraping across the tiled floor as he stood up sharply. "I'm 18! I'm not a child anymore!"

Nathan remained seated, but I could see that his hands had folded up into fists, a clear sign that he was not happy with what I had to say.

"I know Cole, but please look at this from my point of view. You were just kidnapped. You could have been dead for all I knew! And now you're suddenly dating this, this stranger, who I know nothing about. Look, I know what I am saying sounds unreasonable, but it's just while I get to know Nathan, and know that I can trust him."