37. Get Off My Land

Joel

It was not going to plan.

Casper had gone AWOL and I'd found him injured and about to be hurt further by that bitch Sylvie.

I hadn't seen Casper in two years. Two whole fucking years, and when I did finally see him, it was to see his face screwed up in pain while he waited to meet his fate.

I saw red.

And Sylvie paid the price.

I'd only lost my shit once before, and that was a long time ago now, shortly after I first went rogue. It wasn't something I was proud of, and now I felt sick to my stomach that I'd hurt someone again.

Even though she deserved it. Even though she was about to try to kill Casper, and may have succeeded if I hadn't shown up. Even despite all of that, I still felt guilty for what I'd done.

I turned back into my human form and made my way towards Tom who I knew was keeping watch not far from here.

"Casper's down," I said to Tom.

"Is he ok?" he asked.

"I think he'll be fine. He seemed to have a wound to his left side, but that should heal. He just needs some time, so can you make sure no hunters head this way."

"Yeah sure," Tom replied.

I started to head off to find Sebastian.

"Wait," Tom said. "What are we going to do about a decoy?"

"I guess we'll have to find another," I said, walking away.

I made my way round the edge of the territory to the east wall where Sebastian was waiting with the team of police he had drafted in to help.

"Slight issue," I said as I approached Seb, "I need another decoy."

"What's happened to Casper?" he asked.

"Injured," I replied.

To be honest, I was somewhat relieved that Casper wasn't going to be the decoy. I'd had to adjust my plan seen as I didn't want Casper to see me, but now I could go back to my original idea.

"I'll do it," came a voice from my left.

I turned to see Mark step forward with a determined look on his face.

I considered it briefly.

"Fine, let me brief you on what you need to do."

I was in work mode today, and couldn't let my friendship with Mark distract me. His wolf was fast, and I knew he took instruction well, so he would be fine as the decoy.

I had to just put all my other feelings to the back of my mind. Like how dangerous this was. And how Lyla would kill me if anything happened to him.

Once Mark had his orders, I sent him off.

"Time to put this thing to bed," Sebastian said to me, holding out his hand.

"Yep," I said nodding, and giving his hand a firm shake.

"Good luck Joe."

I smirked, "I don't need luck, I need a bleeding miracle."

Sebastian laughed, then made his way back to his team.

I headed back into the woodland, making my way to where I knew Kane would be waiting.

I found him scowling angrily at his rifle.