A Christmas Pudding

Hey everyone! I have a present for you all! A little glimpse into the grand Blackwood Manor 18 months after we last left it. And maybe an idea for a third book that's been playing around in my mind........let me know what you think?

Joel

"Remind me why we agreed to host Christmas this year?" I asked Casper as I tried to peel off the strip of sellotape that had wrapped its way around my fingers.

"Because Ronan hosted last year," Casper replied, while chuckling at my shit attempt at wrapping presents.

"And..?" I said raiding my eyebrows at him.

"And.....And because I wanted to do it better," Casper said in a mumble.

"There it is!" I said laughing. "Always this one upmanship between you two!"

"Come on," he said, pushing my shoulder lightly, "you can't say you don't feel the same way. Look at it!" he said, gesturing to the dining hall we were currently sat in.

He was right. I had gone to town with the decorations. There was a massive Christmas tree at the far end of the hall, covered in twinkling white lights and gold decorations. Then the tables were covered in gold tablecloths with big red poinsettia plants in the middle. And there were swags of holly and ivy going all the way round the room, sprayed with fake snow, giving a very Dickensian feel to it. There was also a cracker in each place setting as well as a small gift, that I was currently wrapping, hence my hand being covered in sellotape.

But despite the effort I had gone to, it wasn't to do with the Huntley - Bournville rivalry. It was because this was my first big event as the manager of Blackwood Manor.

I finally wrapped the last gift - a bottle of stretch mark moisturiser for Lyla and placed it on the table by her place setting.

Casper walked over and threw an arm around my waist while we surveyed the scene in front of us.

"You do realise when she opens that, she's going to throw it at your head," Casper almost whispered in my ear.

I couldn't help the snigger that came out at the thought of seeing Lyla and Mark's face.

"I know, but it'll be hilarious to see her reaction," I said before catching Casper off guard with a quick kiss on the lips.

Lyla was 6 months pregnant and already surrounded herself with an aura that said, 'back off, I bite'.

Speaking of the impending parents, Mark stuck his head round the door.

"Bad news," he said, gestring for us to walk over.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, "You're supposed to be a guest today, not working!"

Mark grinned sheepishly.

"I know, I know, but I just wanted to check the team were on top of everything. You know that Francis is away, so I just wanted to make sure that everything was still on schedule."

I just shook my head and smiled. It made me feel so proud to have such dedicated staff, and wonderful friends.

"So what was the bad news?" Casper asked.

"Percy's now coming."

I laughed while Casper rolled his eyes.

"Any chance we can sit him on his own down in the basement?" Mark said chuckling.

"He's not that bad," I argued.

"N-NOT THAT BAD?" Casper spluttered out animatedly. "Do you not remember when he was here last month?"