23. Frickin' Frizzlesticks

Cole

It was a bad idea.

I knew it was a bad idea so why did I let Emily talk me into it?!

The last time I had this feeling was.......it was when I went to that first party with Natalie. And that didn't turn out too well.

It was Friday afternoon and the sun was still high in the sky. I only had morning classes on a Friday so Emily was at my house by 2 o'clock ready to pick me up.

I had a small rucksack with me as we were spending the night at Worthington Manor before Emily was going to drive me back in time for working on the project at Highfield Hall on Saturday.

My dad was out of town on some work thing so he had no idea that I wasn't going to be home tonight. I didn't usually lie to my dad, but hey, let's face it, there were bigger secrets I was keeping from him.

WEREWOLVES FOR FRICK'S SAKE!

I had to bite my lip to stop from giggling at how ridiculous that sounded.

Emily had told me it was about a three hour drive to her home. We'd been on the road for about two hours and I was already busting for a pee.

"Are we nearly there yet?" I whined.

"Oh my god, what are you, three?" She said, smiling despite my patheticness.

"No, I just really need a wee," I moaned, jiggling a little to prove my point.

"See, that's exactly what a three year old would say. Didn't you go before we set off?"

"But I didn't need one then."

Emily just rolled her eyes and we went back to silence.

It wasn't uncomfortable silence though, and I just spent the time looking out of the window and enjoying the scenery.

My eyes began to get heavy so I closed them, just to give them a rest, not to sleep of course.

"WERE HERE! WAKE UP SLEEPY HEAD!"

I sat bolt upright as if I had been caught sleeping in class. That had never happened before.....honest...

I looked around at my surroundings.

All I could see were trees.

"Where are we?" I asked, only to notice that Emily had already got out of the car.

I quickly released my seatbelt and stepped out of the car, suddenly aware of large shadow towering above the rear of the car.

My jaw dropped open as I took in the sight before me. I mean, I'd seen large buildings before, but never one so, so imposing yet beautiful.

It was made of stone that had a reddish tinge to it, and had more windows on this one side than I could count. The windows all had intricate stonework around them, and the roof was full of lots of spires with these spindly things on top.

The front entrance was huge, with columns of stone on either side, and two large steps leading up to a massive wooden door.

I was grateful when Emily started pulling me away from the front of the building and round the back. Somehow, it just didn't feel right going to the front door.

What would I do? Knock?

We walked at quite a pace, and I managed to stumble more than once as I looked at everything, but where I was putting my feet.

Eventually we made it round the back of this humongous building and I was surprised to see what looked like another set of smaller buildings round the back.