11. Happy Birthday

Joel

"Happy birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Joel, Happy Birthday to you."

I pulled the covers down from over my head and smiled at my mum who was stood in the doorway holding a birthday cake.

"It's a bit early for cake isn't it?" I said with a smile.

"It's never to early for cake!" my mum said in all seriousness.

I chuckled as she came over and placed the cake on my bedside table.

"I've got plates!" she said, proudly pulling out a pair of paper plates from the front pocket of her apron.

"Wow, you've thought of everything," I mocked in good humour.

"Well, it's been such a long time since I've been able to share my son's birthday cake, that I couldn't wait a second longer. Plus you need to get up to get ready for work."

"Oh yeah...work." I grumbled. The last time I went to work, it was at Blackwood manor. With Casper.

I felt my mood take a nosedive as I thought about home.

"Here you go," my mum said, holding out a piece of cake.

I quickly hid my frown and smiled at her, pleased that at least she would get enjoyment out of today.

Personally, I'd have rather just forgotten it was my birthday.

I glanced at the cake, that my mum had obviously got up really early to make, and frowned.

"Um, mum. Why does it have 19 on the cake?"

"It's your age, you idiot," she said, taking a bite and rolling her eyes like she was in heaven.

"But I'm 20," I told her, feeling slightly bad for her that she had got my age wrong.

"No you're not, you're 19," she said with certainty.

"Honestly, I'm 20," I said, a little confused as to why she didn't believe me.

"Joel, I gave birth to you," she said, remarkably calmly, "and I can tell you now that it was exactly 19 years ago."

"But I was born in 1997. That's what my birth certificate says."

My mum's eyes suddenly widened as she stared at me.

"Mum?" I said.

"Oh," was all she offered back.

"What do you mean, oh? So am I 20 or not?"

"Erm, no, you're 19. Just hang on a second," she said, before disappearing out of my room.

"Just hang on a second?" I repeated in disbelief, my voice going up an octave.

How could I have just lost a year? A whole year of my life. This is crazy.

My mum reappeared a moment later, clutching something in her hand.

"Here," she said, passing it to me.

I opened up the paper to see that it was my birth certificate, only this time it said I was born in 1998.

"How can this one be different?" I asked in disbelief.

"Erm, well, they're fakes," she answered nervously before perching herself on the end of my bed.

"What?" I asked, trying my best to get my head to catch up.

"Well, I never told anyone I was pregnant, in case you turned out to be a werewolf, so I couldn't just go and get you registered. So I got you a fake birth certificate. Only they got the date wrong on the first one, so I had to get another made. I obviously sent the wrong one with you when you were adopted."