Chapter 1

Edited

My boyfriend next to me put his hand on my bouncing knee. I could see the girl next to me glaring because my leg was making an annoying scratching sound against my bag. But I couldn't help it. I was anxiously waiting for the intercom to report my team down to the coaches office, but instead I was in my Math class not listening to my teacher blabber about things I could care less about at the moment.

I hear the intercom come on and Josh and I look at each other.

"Cassandra Smith, please report to the main office." Josh chokes out a laugh he was clearly trying to keep in but failed. Who laughs at a time like this? Oh yah! My insensitive boyfriend. We wait a little longer before the intercom comes on again.

"The whole girls soccer team, I'm sorry, former girls soccer team, please report to Coach Mike's office." the intercom lady said. I glared at the speaker when she had the audacity to say "former".

I looked over and saw Josh giving me an encouraging smile. I smiled back before bolting out of my seat and straight to the door with some of the girls in tow. Once I left the classroom I saw the rest of the girls waiting down the hall for me. I see Maggie flash me a smile, and that smile made me believe they would let us play for the boys team. 

Moments later, we arrived at Coach Mike's office. I have to play for the boys, or at least try out. I mean, its our senior year and we need to play so we can get scouted for college. My dad always wanted me to join a really good college. That's why I have to tryout and make the team, for my dad.

Coach Mike was waiting outside his office for us. I'm going to die of anxiousness. After a minute of our coach fiddling around with his phone, and after he didn't notice us, he finally looked up. A smile was on his face, and I was hoping that it was a good sign rather than a bad one. I mean, the only looks I really understand/receive are sympathetic ones

"Hello girls!! I'm sorry about the school cutting your team. Just not many girls tried out." he said. You could tell he really was sorry. A couple of us murmured just a "hey" or "hi" clearly eager for our coaches/schools answer. We really didn't want to be reminded of our stupid school cutting  us, for the second time today.

"Okay then, Leanna? Please come into my office." I heard many groans since the girls didn't want to wait any longer. As captain, I followed his instructions and sat down once I was in. Coach did the same but took the seat behind his desk. I felt nervous all of a sudden not realizes the butterflies in my stomach until now. He gave me a look with sympathy and I knew what he was going to say next.

Please, I've had enough sympathetic looks to last me a lifetime. I really don't need one from my coach too.

"Leanna, I'm very, sorry about your dad." and..... I was right. I murmured a thanks and looked down to my lap. I really just wanted to hear good news and he was delaying that by talking about my dad.

He (my dad) seems to be the subject opener for everyone I talk too.

"Sorry about your loss.", "He was a great guy.", "How are you doing.", "You should talk to someone." The last one was from my mom, who is not accepting the fact that her husband is dead and  her oldest daughter is extremely not okay because of it.

I started playing with my thumbs when Coach cleared his throat, signaling he was ready to tell me the schools answer. Oh shoot I still haven't come up with something to say if they say no. Come on Leanna, think. You're good at persuading/manipulating people.

"Well....." he started, while I held my breath "They said.... YES!"

"Sr. If you don't let us try-out I will not hesitate to do something extremely drastic."

"Uh Leanna I said ye-"

"I know you said no-wait YES?!?" he nods and I almost scream. But I contain myself because I'm such a professional young woman.

"Oh!! Before I forget!!" Coach stated."Not all of you girls will make it." I kind of realized that considering this was a boys league. Can he just let me tell the girls? Their probably pressing their ears to the damn door by now.

"Thank you again coach." I say giving him an appreciative smile. What would we do without him? I would probably never make it to college since I don't even know how to pay attention in math class.

"No, thank you girls for being patient. I know how important this is to you girls." Patient my butt. That was the last thing that we ever were. Seriously, I was actually happy to go to school today. And its Monday.

I jump out of my seat as quickly as possible and run to the door. The first thing that escapes my mouth is a scream. I've been waiting to let that one out for a while now.

"Please tell me that scream was a happy one and that we actually get to try out?" Emily asks with pleading eyes. I nodded my head up and down getting excited. The girls started screaming with happiness and jumping up and down. I ran over to a few of my best friends and we shared a group hug. This day can't get any better. But wait, I still have to tell Josh!!!