Chapter 20

Edited

The past few days before our championship game were the slowest and most careful days of my life. Coach made all of us promise not to fool around so we wouldn't get hurt. On the day of our game we all sat around for hours not wanting to take any risks getting hurt. The game started at 3:30 so it was a long time doing nothing. When I got up to get an apple I tripped over my shoe and everyone gasped.

"Guys relax I'm okay." and then they sighed in relief. This game was so important to me and my team. This could depend on where we go to college to. At 2:30 we left the hotel and went to the game. The nerves were building up inside of me. Josh seemed to notice this on the bus.

"Leanna you need to relax."

"I can't." I reply.

"You'll do amazing."

"But what if I don't Josh?!?" I snap.

"Then who cares Leanna! This game doesn't decide your future! You decide your future and you don't need a bunch of snobby scouts to get into a college. Your good enough of get in yourself!" He snaps back.

"Geez you never give yourself credit." he mutters. I sit back into the seat crossing my arms. Now we are both pissed at each other right before a huge game. Just great. When we get to the field we do our usual routine. I hate this team. Same team that the Eric guy is on. When we went up for captains he gave us a smirk.

"How did you guys get here to the championships?" When we don't say anything he speaks again.

"Cat got your tong?" He snaps and I speak up.

"Oh please I have a lot to say to you but I would actually rather play the game then waste my breath on you!" I snap.

"It talks!" He says. He pushed all my buttons. I jump towards him and he backs away. Josh grabs my arm only giving Eric a glare.

"See you on the field." Josh says.

"I hope you brought your tissues for the plane ride home." he scoffs. Josh lets go of my arm walking away. He's still mad at me.

"Guys come on get in the circle." Coach yells. Josh and I join the huddle side by side.

"Come on guys lets do a prayer." coach says. We all bow our heads and coach speaks.

"Help us win this game." he says.
"Help us win as a team and if we don't win let us still be winners. Help these kids play as hard as they can so if they loose they still know they tried. Help none of them get injured and help us all get through this tough game."he mutters an "amen" and we all lift our heads. When we walk into the field I think of my dad and how much I wish he were here. And then the game begins. Vick passes the ball to Josh and I take a deep breath. We take the ball up the field pressuring the other team. Josh gets the ball again after passing it to someone else. He crosses it to Zach who takes a shot but the goalie saves it. This goes on and on the whole game. Zach gives me the ball and I take it up. The first person who approaches I get by with a scissor kick. The second person comes and I try to get around them but he trips me with his foot. I fall flat to the ground on my stomach with a thud. Quickly I get up ignoring the pain in my stomach. Adam steals the ball back from the guy that trips me and passes it to Zach who takes it up the field. I feel like this happens all the way up until the half is over. Coach tells us that we're doing great when we come off the field. I take a drink of water and sit down examining the streak of dirt stains on my jersey.

"How did that fall feel?" Josh asks, clearly still annoyed about our conversation before the game.

"Amazing." I say sarcastically.

"I really hope we win." I whisper. Josh looks at me this time with a softer expression.

"We will." He says before the ref blows the whistle. 

We head onto the field ready to start the next half. The other team passes it up the field and gets a shot off net. Thankfully they didn't score. I pass the ball to Josh. He takes it up the middle of the field challenging a defender. The guy looked huge from where I was. Josh tried to get around but the guy ended up checking him. Josh was hit into the penalty box and when I thought there wasn't going to be a whistle, I heard one. I almost cried with joy. We could easily win off of this kick. The teammates of the huge guy were yelling at him for giving us a free PK. I walk up to Josh and I could tell he was nervous. I knew he was probably still mad at me but I don't care.

"Your going to do fine." I say.

"But what if I miss?" He says nervously.

"Josh it doesn't matter we still have 10 minutes. And that's enough time to score." he nods and gets ready to kick. I step outside the penalty box watching.

"Come on Josh. You can do it." I whisper. He shoots the ball and I thought it was going in but it tipped over the top. It was a little to high. Josh slams his foot to the ground angry he missed.

"Josh stop." I say and he looks up. "It was a great shot and we can still win so don't worry about it." I say sternly. He nods again getting into position. When I said 10 minutes was enough time to score, I was wrong. At the end of the game it was tied 0-0. We had to do penalty shots. Coach told us that Josh, Blake, Mike, Zach, and I would be doing the PKs and Sean as our goalkeeper. I could tell by Josh's reaction to hearing his name as one of the shooters that he didn't want to do it. I walk up to him touching his shoulder lightly.

"I know we probably aren't good with each other right now but I wanted to let you know that your going to do great no matter what." I say smiling at him.

"Thanks." he says after a while and he gives me a small smile back. The six of us head onto the field ready to do the penalties. Us five shooters went to the half line and Sean went to the goal post. The other team got to shoot first. Sean saves it. Next it was Blake who went. Blake shot the ball and it went in. The other team went scoring. Mike went and scored a low ball that the other keeper almost got. Sean let another one in. Josh went next and he scored. When he turned around he looked so happy. The other team went again scoring. Zach came next. He scores. Eric goes next flashing me a smirk before he goes. I start ripping the grass from the ground because of how nervous I was. Eric misses the goal and I sigh. I need to get this in or else we have to continue the shots. Eric stomps his feet and grits his teeth.

"Shit!" He mutters. I get up ready for my shot. Let me get this in for my dad. I slam my foot into the ball and watch it soar through the air. I close my eyes not wanting to watch. Everybody screams and I'm not sure if their cheering because the ball went in or because I missed. I open one eye and see the ball in the net. Next I see my whole team running towards me yelling and screaming. Josh is the first. He slams his lips onto mine and I wrap my arms around his neck. Josh smiles into the kiss.

"We won." He whispers. "We won!" He screams this time. I feel myself being lifted off the ground by everyone. We celebrate our victory as champions. The people who held the tournament give us all trophies and then we go to a restaurant for a celebration dinner. Coach orders a bunch of pizzas for us to eat. I sit next to Josh and Zach. Josh grabs my hand and takes me out of the room. He brings me to a corner of the restaurant.

"Your shot today was amazing. I'm so proud of you." before I can even reply. He kisses me. I feel like my whole world spins when I kiss him. When we break the kiss I hug him. 

"We did it."