Chapter 3: I would leave

I walk from the carriages to the great hall, talking to Sirius, James and Remus. Peter stays silent. My eyes widen as I walk into the great hall. The high ceiling is enchanted, looking identical to the night sky outside. The teachers sit at the top of the hall, and four tables spread through the hall. At the far side of the room, the people are dressed all in green and silver. They sigh, looking haughty and bored. Slytherins. I look around at the yellow dressed people on their table, and the people dressed all in a deep blue. Finally, my eyes land on the Gryffindor table, the long row of red and gold. The Gryffindor's look expectant, probably waiting for the sorting to begin. I turn and face Remus and his friends. "I go up there, right?" Remus nodded, looking at me, concern written on his face. "You'll be fine, just sit quietly and then go to whatever house you're put in." "Remus, I'll be find! Stop worrying. I suppose.. I'll see you later, depending on where I get put." "If it's Slytherin, you won't see us later" James says, a smirk on his face, but I can see the seriousness in his eyes. "If it's Slytherin, I'm leaving" I tell him, smirking at him. The four boys laugh quietly and Remus hugs me quickly, sitting down. I smile at them, walking up to where the first years are. The sorting takes a while, but eventually I get called. Last. My heartbeat quickening, I sit on the stool. "Aha!" The hat barks loudly, and I jump slightly. "Lupin. A Lupin girl. Mmhh.. Well there's loyalty. Impatience though, and bad tempered. Not Ravenclaw, that's obvious. Well, it does seems fair you join you're brother. Better be.. GRYFFINDOR!" The Gryffindor table erupts in cheers and clapping as I make my way over, smiling. I sit down opposite Remus, thinking about the Gryffindor part of the song. "Where dwell the brave at heart." "Daring Nerve and Chivalry set Gryffindor apart." Sirius looks at me, his dark eyes strong but mischievous. "Happy with Gryffindor?" He asks me, biting into an apple. I nod happily, piling mash potato onto my plate. He smirks as James butts in. "Padfoot, Snivellous is coming." Sirius' head snaps up, and he looks focused. Remus smirks, "Ye but Lily is with them" he informs the other two. Sirius swears under his breath, looking down. James, however, runs a hand through his hair and smiled at the red haired girl walking past. "Alright, Evans?" He grins. "What?" The girl snaps at James. I laugh quietly, at how badly he got shot down. She glares at me, then stops. A look of confusion spreads across her face. "Hi!" I tell her, smiling. "I'm River. Lupin." "Remus?.." She says, looking from him to me. "Lily, this is my sister, Arya River Lupin." Lily, the red haired girl smiles at me, putting her hand out. "I'm Lily Evans." "I'm River, as you know." She nods, then turns to the skinny Slytherin boy beside her. "And this is my friend, Severus." I nod at him, smiling. "Snivellous." Sirius mutters, looking down. "What did you say?" Severus snaps, narrowing his eyes. "Nothing!" Sirius snaps back, narrowing his eyes back. Lily, Remus, and I roll our eyes. "Well we should go, nice meeting you" Lily smiles at me, turning around. "Don't I get a goodbye?" James asks, looking shocked. "Oh sure!" Lily says sarcastically, coming back. James' face lights up. Lily looks at him, staring into his eyes. James leans in slightly, then right on que, Lily spins around, her long red hair flying. James, having been leaning forward, stumbles, almost falling off the bench. He would have fallen, if Peter and Sirius hadn't grabbed the back of his jumper. As Severus walks away, Sirius calls after him. "See ya, Snivellous!" I laugh into my cup as James straightens himself, looking embarrassed. He glares at me for a minute, then tucks into his food, stuffing his face like Peter.