Chapter 21: November and December

November passes quickly, the last two weeks passing in a blur of quidditch and classes and homework. The O.W.L's are mentioned every day nearly, and it's very depressing. I'm explaining this to Lily when I walk last Remus, Sirius, James and Peter. I haven't spoken to them since the fight at the start of November, and it's killing me. I love Remus, and I really like James and Peter. Sirius.. I really like. But there's something.. More than with James and Peter. Something about him draws me nearer, and I constantly feel the urge to talk to him and be with him. I shake the thought from my head quickly, continuing my conversation with Lily. The four of them are leaning on the windowsill, Remus looking up from his book. Lily stalks past, her head high. James grins at her, his hand flying to his messy hair. "You're fighting a lost cause there, mate." Sirius laughs. "Hopeless." Remus mutters, his eyes laughing. "Lupin." James calls, waving at me. "Oh so I'm Lupin now am I?" I snap at him, stopping in my tracks. James looks uncomfortable. "Well no.." "He just wanted to get you're attention." Sirius butts in. "What?" I ask him angrily. "Quidditch match is soon." "Do you think I don't know that?" I snap at him, and he raises his hands in surrender. "Okay, just wanted to let you know." I narrow my eyes at him and walk away, Lily beside me. "That really wasn't necessary, Prongs. She's my sister!" Remus says as we walk away.

***************

"I can't believe it's nearly Christmas!" Alice exclaims, sitting down next to us in the common room. "It's only the end of November, Alice." I laugh, putting my feet on the small table and my hands behind my head. Lily shoots me a disapproving glare, but doesn't say anything. "Ye but, we all want it to be Christmas." Alice shrugs. The fire is lighting the room and burning brightly as we do our homework. "How in Merlin's name are we supposed to?.." I trail off. "What?" Mary asks me. "Transfiguration! How are we supposed to do it? Stupid OWL's." I mutter angrily. "Like this." Lily says. She explains to me what to do for the homework and I nod occasionally, taking it in. "And you're supposed to be smart!" Lily laughs, sitting down again. "I am! I just.. Not transfiguration." I shrug. "Or Divination." Alice adds, grinning. "Or History of Magic." Mary smiles. "Okay! Okay! I get it, I'm terrible at most subjects. But I'm good at Potions! And Care of Magical Creatures! And.. Defence Against the Dark Arts! There." I say, putting my hands behind my head. "Well that's me finished." Lily says, slamming her book shut. "Goodnight guys." She smiles, going upstairs. The other two follow her, finished their homework. I say goodnight to them and promise I'll be up in a while. Now that the common room is empty, I sigh into the silence, my eyes going to the window. There's a full moon out, big and bright and beautiful. It puts the Hogwarts grounds in a silvery light, lighting the trees by the Forbidden Forest. Making an impulse decision, I put on my cloak and wrap it around me. My jeans and jumper are warm, but the cloak helps more. Putting my fingers around the edge of the hood, I flip it up over my head and walk out into the grounds.