Chapter 18: Lovely

"What a night." Remus sighs, sitting down on the couch. "Not enjoying yourself?" I laugh, my voice barely heard over the Weird Sisters playing loudly. "I am! Of course I am! I just.. I'm tired." "C'mon Remus, don't be such a bore!" I yell at him, picking him up by his hands and spinning him around. "River-" he starts, but I cut him off. "Oh Remus, come on!" I laugh. He grins widely, giving in. "Well done in the match, River!" Sirius says, coming up and hugging me tightly. "You were brilliant Sirius!" I tell him, throwing my arms around his neck. Pulling back slightly, I study his face. He looks as if he's been drinking a lot of butterbeer, and he's slightly out of breath. Dancing too much. His long hair is falling in his eyes and he brushes it back impatiently, running his fingers through it. His arms are still around my waist and I still have my arms around his neck. "River!" Lily says, coming over. "Hi Evans." Sirius smiles at her. "What is it, Black?" She asks him impatiently. "Aw come on Evans, give me a break! Were celebrating!" He smiles. "Okay. Well done on winning the first match, and I hope as much as you do that Gryffindor for wins the cup. Now if you'll excuse me, I want to congratulate River." I smile at Sirius and wave goodbye, plonking down beside Lily. "Well done River! I saw you the whole time, you were absolutely excellent!" She smiles happily, hugging me. "Lily, you're killing me." I gasp, and she retracts slightly. "But thank you all the same, I'm so glad we won!" "Me too! Seriously, I hate to say, but we do have a good team." She admits slowly. "Lily, I know you don't like them, but you have to admit that Sirius and James are good quidditch players." I tell her. Lily shrugs bitterly. "Well done River!" Mary and Alice say in unison, hugging me. "It wasn't a big deal." I laugh, hugging them back tightly.
The party goes on for a wile, The Weird Sisters playing loudly in the background. It's a small party, just with the Gryffindors who can stay up late without falling asleep. There are sweets and butter beer, but I'm informed it's a small party in comparison to the ones when the Quidditch Cup is won. "When we win this year, I guarantee we'll have a huge party!" James laughs. "Don't be disappointed if we don't win it Jamesy boy." Remus says from his seat on the chair. I throw myself down beside him and look around. The music has been turned down and people have started to leave. Gryffindor girls and boys file up the stairs, one after the other in small streams. There are a lot of girls still in the common room, wearing robes or nice tops and skirts. I stretch out in my jeans and batwing red top, smiling comfortably. A girl and boy stand in the corner, very close together. I look away from that quickly, out onto where people are dancing and laughing still. "It's a good thing it's Friday, not a school night." Remus mutters, looking exhausted. "I suppose.. Waht would it really matter though? We won our first match, and it's just after Halloween really, so we deserve a party." I shrug. "We do! Our parties are great!" Sirius says, coming up and sipping butter beer. My mood drops slightly as I see him. His eyes are shining, and his arm is wrapped tightly around the waist of a pretty girl in tight clothes. She bats her eyelids at Sirius and laughs at him, her girlie giggle making me sick. "They really are." James says as two girls walking past him eye him hopefully. "Wow, those two can't keep their eyes off you." I laugh, trying to cheer my self. "I know!" James says loudly, sitting down and looking frustrated. "I don't want Lily to think I have a thing with any other girl." He says. "James, mate, you don't even have a thing with her! I don't think she'd care." Sirius laughs, and Peter laughs nervously. James rolls his eyes at them, but doesn't argue. At the moment, it's only me, James, Peter, Remus and Sirius sitting in the chairs by the fire. And the girl Sirius has his arm around. Her eyes are fixed on Sirius and his handsome face, but he doesn't seem to notice, being deep in conversation about the match. "Remus, I'm going to bed." I smile, having had enough of the party and the late hour and this girl and the music. "What? But.. But it's early! And were celebrating!" Sirius says. The girl looks at him, something like anger in her eyes. Or.. Jealousy. It's wrong that her being jealous gives me a feeling of satisfaction, but it does. "Sirius, love if she wants to go to bed, then let her." The girl says, as if she's older and so much more mature an better than me. "Patronising git." I mutter under my breath, then look up. "It's fine, I'll see you all tomorrow. G'night." I smile, walking away to a chorus of "See you tomorrow" and "Goodnights." As I run and walk up the stairs, I turn one last time. The last thing I see before I go to bed is Sirius and the girl standing in a corner of the dance floor, snogging, as his hands run all over her waist. Lovely.