Chapter 16: Insulting

"You have a lovely voice." A clear, smooth voice tells me, stepping up beside me. "Excuse me?" I ask, spinning around. The boy shrugs, smiling confidently. He was.. Interesting looking. He was tall me and thin, with blondish brown hair. His big eyes were open and very sure of themselves, the soft green happy. Sure of themselves in the fact that that they didn't move from my face and didn't dart around nervously. His eyes were fixed on me and looked as if they'd stay there. Whoever he was, he had a short, stumpy nose, and a nice kind of jawline. "Who are you?" I ask him. "No one." He tells me, plonking himself down beside me. "Seriously?" I ask. He's got robes on, but they don't have any particular colour on them, so I don't know what he's in. Again, he shrugs, his eyes sliding to the lake. I eye him warily, unsure of what to do. "So." He turns to me again, his eyes locking with mine. "So?" I ask him, laughing slightly. "You're in Gryffindor?" He asks. "Yes." I say shortly. "But you're new?" "I transferred in September. I'm Remus Lupin's sister." "Ah yes, the Lupin boy." "The Lupin boy?" I raise my eyebrows. "Yes. He's a boy. His names Lupin. The Lupin boy. Bit of a strange character if you ask me, and those three he follows around." "His names Remus!" I say, outraged. "And he doesn't follow James and Sirius around! Or Peter!" I add. The boy raises his eyebrows, looking unbearably haughty. "Who the hell are you?" I ask him. "I told you, no one." He says, and his voice is still calm and sure and clear. I roll my eyes and stand up for the second time that day. "Wait, where you going?" He asks, looking up at me. "Away from you!" I tell him loudly, turning away. "Why?" He asks, and still, his voice is infuriatingly calm. "Because!" I face him. "Because I don't know you, I don't even know you're name! And you think you can just appear beside me and insult my brother and my friends and I won't be annoyed? Just because you say I have a lovely voice doesn't mean you can make me answer questions to you then insult me and my family!" He looks slightly sheepish for a minute, before looking up again, into my golden brown eyes. "Okay.." He says slowly. "Okay. Well I'm sorry for insulting for insulting you and-" "Seriously, save it for when I care." I tell him, before walking away.

***************************
Sirius P.O.V

"Prongs, I can't believe you won't just get rid of it!" I tell him, laughing and exasperated. "Okay, okay, give me a few more minutes." He laughs. "You drew a moustache on Sirius? Really?" Remus asks, coming down the ladder from divination. "Yes." James laughs. "Hey, where did you're sister go?" "I don't know! She just.. Left. I'm sure she's okay, but still.." Remus says worriedly. "Moony, it's okay!" I tell him, clapping a hand on his shoulder and leading him down the stairs. "She can take care of yourself." "Well you certainly seem to think so." James says. "What's that mean?" I frown at him. "C'mon, Padfoot! Don't be so bashful! You don't hide it very well." "Hide what?" I ask him, but I know the answer. "River." James shrugs, going out into the grounds. "What about her?" I ask him. "God damn, Padfoot, we know you fancy her." "Fancy her? River? The girl that has been our friend since the start of the year? Nah mate, she's just a friend." "Not to mention my sister." Rems mutters, taking out a book. "She's got pretty hair" James smirks. "Shut it, James! She does, but I don't fancy her! And like Moony said, he's his sister." I shrug, putting my hands behind my head. "Well, you should ask her to go out with you." James says casually. "Why?" I ask him. "Because." He says it like it obvious. "Because you want to. Go ask her." He says. "And what if she says no?.." I ask slowly. "Well, it wouldn't surprise me." He grins. "But if she did say no, you could just keep asking. Till see says yes." He shrugs. Remus laughs quietly, hiding behind the pages of his book. Peter listens intently to our conversation. "Keep asking her?" I ask James. "Please Prongs, don't make me laugh! I'm Sirius Black! I don't chase girls, even pretty ones like River. I'm not you, chasing after Evans all the time. I'm Sirius Black and I have a good reputation to keep up." I explain, shrugging at the end. "So I don't fancy River, and I'm certainly not asking her out."