Chapter 45: James and Sirius

"Hey, Evans." James grins, sitting down next to us in Transfiguration and messing up his hair. "What is it now?" Lily sighs, and Sirius laughs loudly from behind James. I smile widely, but hide it behind my hair. "I was just wondering if you'd like to go out with me?" He asks happily. "Wow, Prongs. even I could tell you that was bad." Remus says, standing beside Sirius. "No." Lily says casually, taking out her books. "But why? Come on, really, I'm not that bad." James says exasperatedly. "Conceited." I tell James shortly. He purses his lips and turns away. "I'll get her go like me someday." James says.

*********
Sirius POV:
"Honestly, just apologise to her!" James tells me as we sit by the fire in the common room. "Nah, mate. She's a complicated girl. She'll just stamp on my apology and walk away." I sigh. "Tell me about it! Evans is the same." James says sadly. "Well.. I don't know how to get her to listen to me. I really am sorry about what I did. An I didn't realise it was such a big deal for her!" "Hey, girls are a mystery, Padfoot. You of all people should know." "Don't rub it in Prongs! Just because girls prefer me to you." "That's the attitude you want to get River to like you." James smirks, and I throw a pillow at him. "Oi! Alright, alright." He sighs. "Look, Padfoot, I don't know what to tell you. Girls are a disaster area for you, no offence. And River.. I don't know, but she doesn't seem to like you like she used to." "You reckon she used to like me?" "I reckon she still does! Just.. She's being.. What's it? Hard to get! She's playing hard to get. But maybe.. If you do it right, she might give you a chance." James finishes dramatically. "I hope so.." I sigh. "Oh! Oh! I have a plan to get her to talk to you!" I lean forward and listen intently. "Okay, here's what you do..."