Chapter 46: Chess

"River!" James calls down the hall to me. "James?" I say as I raise my eyebrows. He grins broadly, placing a hand on his chest, catching his breath. "I.. Need to.. Need to show you.. Something." He smiles at me. "What?" I ask him warily. "Just.. C'mon." James grins, pulling me by the arm as we run through the corridors. "I've never been down this corridor before." I tell James quietly. "That's because it's out of bounds." He says casually, without looking over his shoulder. I shrug as James comes to a stop, standing in front of a huge wooden door. "James, what are we-" "River!" Remus interrupts, coming around the corner. "Remus, what the hell is going on?" I ask him in confusion. "We found something really cool!" Peter's voice come from behind James. He sounds excited. "What is it?" "Wait, Padfoot, still has to meet us." I roll my eyes internally. I want to see Sirius, but I'm too.. Proud to talk to him. And I'm still hanging onto the fact that he's an immature ass. "Sirius is an immature ass." I say out loud, trying to confirm my thoughts and be sure of them. Remus raised his eyebrows. "Oh, c'mon, River, he's not that bad! You should really give him a minute to talk to you." "I have no real interest in speaking with Sirius." I shrug, just as (speak of the devil) he walks around the corner. "I'm not always an immature ass!" He says indignantly. "Can you guys just show me what you found?" I ask impatiently. "Certainly." Sirius says, pushing the doors open. "Well, Moony found it really, but still." I barely hear Sirius as I stare around the room. The floor is checked and black and white, and stone warriors line the edges of the huge board we stand on. "It's a chess board." I whisper. "Isn't it brilliant?" James asks eagerly. I nod slowly, before Sirius asks "Who wants to play?" I eye the pieces warily. "There aren't any spare pieces." I mentally slap myself for speaking to him. Damn. "We can all ride the horses. And Wormtail, mate, you can referee the game." Peter nods, walking away. I climb onto the back of a horse, swinging my leg over it's back and gripping the reins. This should be fun.