Chapter 19: Fighting

"Snivellous!" A voice yells, and I roll my eyes. "Ignore him, Severus." I tell him, continuing on our walk. A few Gryffindor's have caught on to his nickname, but it's mainly James, Sirius and Peter who use it. Me, Regulus and Severus are walking through the grounds, catching up, and discussing the match from last week. "You weren't annoyed at me were you?" I ask them. "No way!" Regulus reassures me. "You were good! It was just.. Potter and my brother don't need that to boost their ego as well." "Trust me, I know. But.. They aren't that bad, they're quite nice, if you just.. I don't know, gave them a chance?" I say hesitantly. Severus snorts. Regulus shakes his head immediately. I sigh in defeat as we sit by the water, dangling my feet in it. "It's too cold for this!" Regulus says, the cloudy November sky hanging over us. The air is close and still, sticky and humid. I'm glad I wore a skirt all the same, as I sit by the water in my bare feet, wearing the uniform skirt and shirt, my tie loosely knotted on my chest. Severus sighs and Regulus grins, reaching down towards his feet in the water. Flicking his wrist, he throws water on my face, and I jump. "Regulus!" I yell at him, wiping my face. I reach down and throw water towards him, splashing him and Severus. They laugh and throw water towards me, hitting me in the face and wetting my shirt. Our wands have been left by our shoes back on the shore, so I can't use that. Instead, I cup my hands and repeatedly hit them with water. It's cold and clear, and refreshing. I run back to shore, laughing and knee deep in water. I put my hands in front of my face, brushing my black hair from my face and running my hands through it. "Okay I give up!" I laugh, and still, they splash me with water. "Guys, I give up! Stop it!" The laughter is gone from my voice now, being irritated by the water constantly splashing me. "I give up! Reg, Sev, cut it out!" Water hits me in the face. "Oi! She said cut it out!" A voice yells, and I spin around quickly, my hair dripping as it flashes across my face. "Didn't think you were that low, Snivellus." James says, sneering at Sev. Sirius laughs, a harsh, barking sound. "What is it, guys?" I ask them as Remus and Peter catch up, Peter running and panting and Remus walking quietly. "We were wondering.. C'mere for a second." Sirius beckons. "No." I tell him, staying in the shallow water. "Really! We need you to-" "You don't need me to do anything. You guys go do it, I'll see you later." I tell him. Regulus and Severus are quiet, but they come and stand beside me. "Sirius." Regulus greets stiffly. Sirius raises his eyebrows. "Regulus." Remus looks at me "River." He says, making it sound like a question. "What?" I ask him irritably. "C'mon." He says quietly. "Seriously Remus? You're telling me what to do?" I ask. "No, that's not what I meant, it came out wrong." Remus sighs, looking flustered. "Never mind Remus!" I tell him. "Look I'm staying here, you guys aren't my only friends! I told you already, I can hang out with whoever I want." "River, we want you to come with us because-." Sirius starts, but I cut him off. "Sirius I don't care! I've spent more than enough time with you guys since the match and before that, so you can't tell me what to do, just because you don't like me hanging out with you're brother." I tell him, my voice rising. "Ye but-" Sirius starts, and this time Snape stops him. "She can do whatever she wants." He says. "Stay out of this, Snivelly." James snarls. "Shut up, James!" I tell him. "Hey!" Sirius says, stepping forward. "Sirius." Remus says quietly. Regulus steps forward too, facing Sirius. They lock eyes and look at each other scornfully. "Okay look we're not doing this!" I say loudly, stepping between Regulus and Sirius. I press my palms to their chests and keep them there, looking at them both. Regulus lowers his eyes and steps back slightly. James, Severus, Peter and Remus all look at me and Sirius. He looks at me with his stormy grey eyes, then turns away and starts walking. "Sirius.." Remus starts, but Sirius turns around angrily. "What? If she wants to hang out with THEM, then fine. Like River said, she can do whatever she wants." With that, he walks away, Peter following behind him. James gives Severus one last look, with narrowed eyes, before walking away as well. Remus stands in the same spot, looking heartbroken. "Remus?" I ask, stepping forward. "River, you know I don't have a problem with this, but they're my best friends, and your my sister, but.." He trails off, looking down at his bag of books. "It's okay Remus. I understand." I smile at him. "I'll see you later." He smiles sadly at me before walking up to James and Sirius and Peter, who stand up near the forest entrance, muttering to each other. I watch Remus' back, feeling tears spring up in my brown eyes. Then I turn and face Sev and Regulus. "I'll see you later.." I say, then walk before they can respond.