Chapter 29: Secrets

March starts with the weather clearing and the work piling on. I have barely any time to practice quidditch, and I know James and Sirius feel the same way. "I hate studying." I mutter, banging my head on the table next to Lily. "Then don't study." Sirius says simply, putting his feet up on the table and pushing his hair out of his eyes. Lily shoots him a disapproving look, but looks like she's rather not get involved. "I have to study for the OWL's! You do too! In fact we should all be studying." I tell him, flicking my quill around. He shrugs, looking over to James. "Prongs!" Sirius says, snapping James out of his daydream. "What Padfoot?" James grins at him. "Nothing." Sirius mutters, looking away again. "I'm going to see Severus, I'll see you later River." Lily smiles at me, walking away. "Bye Lily!" I shout after her, coupled with a chorus of "bye Evans!" From James. "So what'r you doing?" I ask them, sitting down. "Nothing!" Sirius groans loudly. "Really, nothing at all! I'm so bored." Sirius whines. I roll my eyes at him. "I wish it was a full moon." Sirius says wistfully. "Maybe you do, but no one else does." Remus mutters darkly, before his hand flies to his mouth and he looks up. Whatever Remus has noticed, Sirius notices too, because his eyes widen and the two of them look at me at the same time. "What?.. River did you.." Remus asks hurriedly. James looks up, his bored expression gone and his eyes fixed on Remus. "Did I?.. Did I hear that?" I ask him quietly. Remus nods, looking worried. "Yes, Remus. I did." I tell him. "How do you know?" He asks me. "How does se know what, Moony?" James asks. "She knows! She knows that I'm.. I'm.." Again, Remus stops talking mid sentence. "River, we'll be back in a while, wait here." Sirius says.

Sirius P.O.V

"You told her, didn't you Sirius?" Remus yells at me as soon as the door closes behind me. "Moony, calm down." James says, sitting on the end of his bed. "Don't "Moony" me, James! Sirius, you told her!" Remus says loudly. "She is you're sister." Peter mumbles. "That's not the point!" Remus says, his voice loud and angry. "Okay, maybe I did." I say quietly, shifting uncomfortably. "But Remus, mate, that's only because she deserved to know! She met me and James in the forest on the full moon and-" "SHE DID WHAT?" Remus yells, cutting me off. "Yeah, she was in the forest, and she had a right to know why we were there and-" "So you just told her? Sirius, that wasn't your secret to tell anyone, let alone my sister!" Remus yells at me. "I know." I say quietly. "And I'm sorry. But she was going to find out sooner or later.." Remus rolls his eyes, flopping on his bed and groaning. There's a moment of awkward silence before Remus mutters to the ceiling. "She's going to absolutely hate me." His voice is broken and sad, like he's on the verge of tears. "Moony, no she won't! She found out awhile ago, and she only got concerned, she doesn't hate you!" I tell him. "Of course she doesn't! Remus, you've got to relax about this and get that it's not you're fault! It's not you're choice to turn into a huge, savaging monster every full moon!" James says, grinning at the last bit. "Shut it Prongs." Remus mumbles from his pillow, but I can hear the laugh in his voice. "C'mon, we can't just leave you're sister down there by herself." I say, pulling Remus up from his bed and walking downstairs.