Chapter 40: Armortentia

"I feel like I haven't talked to anyone but you in so long Lils." I tell her on the way to potions. "I know, I've noticed. Are you okay?" She asks me quietly. I nod slowly, thinking. I haven't spoken to Regulus and Severus since I snapped at him the morning I ran off from Sirius. They don't smile at me or wave anymore, like they used to. I haven't even looked at Sirius since the fight we had the night of the full moon. James and Peter.. Well I don't talk to them, but I'm not specifically avoiding them either. Remus I talk to, but our conversations tend to be when were alone, and he's mostly with the other three. Lily is the only one I really talk to, along with Alice, Marlene and Mary.

"So today we are going to be trying some N.E.W.T level potions!" Professor Slughorn tells us. I roll my eyes and flip through my book."Shouldn't we do stuff for our OWL's?" James asks from the row behind me. "Good question, Mr.Potter. But the answer is no, as you may have seen you're all awfully good at potions here, and I think we ought to try something new." Slughorn says enthusiastically. Flipping through my book, I find armortentia, the love potion. "I feel like such a girl making this." I tell Lily, rolling my eyes. "You are a girl, River! In case you hadn't noticed." She smiles. I narrow my eyes at her, them continue with the potion. "Didn't have you down for someone who likes love potions." A smooth voice says from behind me. I roll my eyes and ignore Sirius. He's been annoying me a lot recently. After I slapped him, and went upstairs, forced myself not to cry, and fell asleep, I've been ignoring him. A lot. And he keeps talking to me. "Seriously. A love potion?" He asks me, standing beside me. Remus stands back a bit, looking uncomfortable. Peter watches the scene unfold, as if it's the most interesting thing he's ever seen. James stands beside Sirius, finding Lily more interesting than anything else. "Yes, Black, a love potion." "Oh so now were on second name terms?" He asks me, raising his eyebrows. "Sirius, c'mon." Remus says quietly. "Hang on Moony, I'm talking with you're dearest sister." He says, looking back to me. "Get lost." I snap at him. "Sirius, come on! Stop annoying her!" Remus says angrily. "Wait, Moony!" Sirius tells him. A low, rumbling growl rings from the back of Remus' throat, and I look up. Sirius' eyes have widened and he backs up, heading for a different desk, behind me. "Works every time." Remus smiles at me and Lily before walking over there too. "Goodbye, Evans." James grins, walking away. Me and Lily roll out eyes in unison, and I finish my potion. "Can I smell it?" Lily asks me. I nod, taking a long breath of the potion. It smells like the forest. Like the soil and ground and the leaves. There's a distinct smell of books, and the library. And the warm, musky smell of the common room. Lingering I the background is another smell. It smells clean and fresh, yet.. Comforting. Spicy and sweet and definitely musky. I can't put my finger on it, but it's familiar. "Can I smell it?" Remus asks as he walks past. Bending down, a small smile spreads across his lips. "Can I?" James and Sirius ask in unison. I sigh and nod. James grins broadly, no doubt smelling Lily, the forest, and the quidditch pitch. Sirius smirks, then a look of dawning confusion comes over his face. Then he smiles again. "I see you've blown up you're poor potion, Peregrine, my lad." Slughorn says sadly to Peter. "My names is Pettigrew, sir." Peter says quietly as we leave.